When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my first watch arrived and i think it's dead : (

Danny Boy

Mont Blanc Timewalker Chrono is the watch...

so.. what is commonly the second hand on a cheaper/common watch is actually just used for the chrono? the seconds at 9 are running nice and smooth. but i always thought the main second hand would move also? and the other two mini dials were chrono?

You are describing the dial layout of a chronograph. The "second hand" IS the "seconds at 9" subdial. What you'd normally consider the "second hand" - the long and thin hand that stays perfectly still at 12 o'clock - is the chrono hand. The chrono hand is supposed to stay still at all times, unless you activate the top pusher and begin to measure the passing of time as related to a separate event (a race, or how long it takes to bake a cookie, etc). You should not let the "chrono hand" run indefinitely as if it is the second hand, because it is NOT the second hand. The "seconds at 9" is your second hand. The chrono hand should always reset to the 12 o'clock position when you hit the bottom pusher AFTER you have stopped the chrono hand by pushing the top pusher.

There are others in this forum, far more adept at this subject than I am, who can explain the mechanics as to why is not a good thing to continously run the second hand and when it is a bad idea to change the date on a chrono, etc. I suggest you use the "search" function for a while as I am pretty sure it has been posted before on numerous threads. Welcome to the forum. :)

You are describing the dial layout of a chronograph. The "second hand" IS the "seconds at 9" subdial. What you'd normally consider the "second hand" - the long and thin hand that stays perfectly still at 12 o'clock - is the chrono hand. The chrono hand is supposed to stay still at all times, unless you activate the top pusher and begin to measure the passing of time as related to a separate event (a race, or how long it takes to bake a cookie, etc). You should not let the "chrono hand" run indefinitely as if it is the second hand, because it is NOT the second hand. The "seconds at 9" is your second hand. The chrono hand should always reset to the 12 o'clock position when you hit the bottom pusher AFTER you have stopped the chrono hand by pushing the top pusher.

There are others in this forum, far more adept at this subject than I am, who can explain the mechanics as to why is not a good thing to continously run the second hand and when it is a bad idea to change the date on a chrono, etc. I suggest you use the "search" function for a while as I am pretty sure it has been posted before on numerous threads. Welcome to the forum. :)

Yeah man thanks! I tried searching but to no avail...

Now I understand I've ended up with a watch I don't want due to not doing my research properly :D woo go me! I wanted a smooth running "long and thin" second hand haha.

PS. how smoothly should the chrono hand run on an A7750? and are the other two mini dials the power reserve?

Yeah man thanks! I tried searching but to no avail...

Now I understand I've ended up with a watch I don't want due to not doing my research properly :D woo go me! I wanted a smooth running "long and thin" second hand haha.

PS. how smoothly should the chrono hand run on an A7750? and are the other two mini dials the power reserve?

Well, you're learning a few things here Dan, and don't feel bad. I couldn't count the times on all fingers and toes X2 where a member bought a 'Chronograph' but didn't actually know what a 'Chronograph' was. It's basically a 'stop watch' that keeps track of seconds, minutes, and hours in any total and any increment up to 12 hours. That's what the other two subdials are keeping track of; minutes and hours. The running seconds serves very little practical function aside giving an indication of the movement actually running. The larger main dial sweep second is used for the stop watch because it's easier to scale tenths of seconds.

Your main sweep second hand may have indeed been properly oriented to 12:00 when you first took possession, but since the A7750 main sweep second hand is merely 'press fitted' (and rather loosely) on the cannon pinion post, a 'reset' from a far distance from the 12 on the dial, say the 5,6,7 o'clock position, the momentum carried by the hand during flyback (reset) actually misplaced the hand. That is; the post stopped, the hand continued It's common, and there are many caveats about resetting a A7750 chrono in the archives. The good news is; it's an easy fix, the bad is, it requires uncasing the movement. Something you may not be prepared to do.

There is a 'quick fix' that only 'sometimes' works. If your sweep second hand is displaced (resets) after the 12, start your chrono and stop the hand before but close to the 6 o'clock marker. Let it flyback from there. Did it get closer to the 12? Yes? Try it again. Closer? If so continue untill it is acceptably close enough to the 12. You may not get it spot on, or it may not budge at all.

In future, reset your chrono ONLY when the sweep second hand is close, or better yet 'on' the 12. There is no momentum built up during flyback and the hand won't displace.

Good luck. Welcome to the RWG learning curve. :)

Welcome to the world of reps...and the learning has begun.

Read the links in my Noob Guide on care and feeding of watches and what not by our resident expert The Zigmeister.

Just think...in a few months of reading posts and gaining knowledge...you'll look back on this question and smile...as you answer the next Noob member with your new found knowledge. It's all about information sharing! :)

I would never recommend a newcomer to buy a 7750, this is exactly why.

The watch basically needs to be serviced if you want it to live a normal healthy life. The chrono hand, like most of em, is already slipping on its post.

the less complications a watch has, the less likely it will break.

I was exactly where you are right now about a year ago. If you like the smooth look of the big second hand then you want a three hand automatic or a mecanical(hand wind) movement. With chronos come three small sub dials. It's of course more difficult to see the smooth sweep of the second hand because of the small size of the sub dials. I usally go with chronographs because I find them more attractive aesthetically. I tried to read as much as I could after I made a poor choice of my first(quartz) :wounded1: purchase. I spent about a month reading up on different movements and reps. I have made ten more rep purchases after that first purchase and I dont regret a one. The Information here Is second to none, read up and enjoy. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike (ps) If you like the watch and would like to keep It for some time "have It serviced" :)