When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dimensions for crown guards

blackbard

Ok. A very nice member here has given me the dimensions of the gen crown guard and it is off to my machinist to determine the easiest most cost effective way to manufacture. These will start with manual wind movements in brushed and will progress to polished and autos. I'll update everyone once I get some final costs. These should mimic/match the gen in every way....

blackbard,

If you could add one feature - it would make these a standout. I have a Jimmyfu CG which I have on one of my reps. The defining factor behind a jimmyfu CG was the fact that he replicated the inner rubber washer/tube/thingy that makes the lever not wobbly and very gen like in action. Various of folks have fixes to the regular rep CG's (the hot glue method, new pin method, etc). But in the end, while good, none of these compares to the rubber pin sleeve thingy. So, try and rep that if you can.

I remember seeing a post where someone bored out the pin hole a little more on their own and actually stuck the plastic sleeve of a certain guage electrical wire (very small of course) in the bored hole and put the pin into that. Apparently that worked pretty well.

Not sure of the dimensions/CNC layout accounts for this - but if you are going to make a go of it - might as well shoot for the moon.

Good luck!!!

Thanks again. I have two slightly different versions right now...They are very close in dimensions however, so no hair splitting. I'll let everyone know what my machinist says...

I'll also look for another machinist in the area. They are somewhat plentiful here although they mostly work on drilling stuff....Oil that is....

blackbard,

If you could add one feature - it would make these a standout. I have a Jimmyfu CG which I have on one of my reps. The defining factor behind a jimmyfu CG was the fact that he replicated the inner rubber washer/tube/thingy that makes the lever not wobbly and very gen like in action. Various of folks have fixes to the regular rep CG's (the hot glue method, new pin method, etc). But in the end, while good, none of these compares to the rubber pin sleeve thingy. So, try and rep that if you can.

I remember seeing a post where someone bored out the pin hole a little more on their own and actually stuck the plastic sleeve of a certain guage electrical wire (very small of course) in the bored hole and put the pin into that. Apparently that worked pretty well.

Not sure of the dimensions/CNC layout accounts for this - but if you are going to make a go of it - might as well shoot for the moon.

Good luck!!!

Good call. I have not seen the gen guard. Does it have this feature or are the tolerances such that it is not needed?

You'd be surprised, but there is a demand for A-F series crownguards too. Look at how fast Jimmy Fu CGs go the minute they come up for sale.

Yes, most people are looking for Pre-V or H-K series CGs because that's what most people own these days, and I for one am sourcing a Pre-V CG, but if you want to corner the market ;)

If you have dimensions, I'll make those too. Your point about JF CGs is one of the reason for doing this....I am too slow to catch his. Also, I have been looking for a thick auto crown for my 250. Every pic I ever see of Gens, mind you, the Post V ones, have thicker guards it seems.....

Please send me differences via PM if you have them. I appreciate your input!

BB

For auto and chrono crown guards, now that's another area of discussion :D

Some differences there and yes the auto crowns have changed through the series.

I unfortunately do not have have dimensions of gen CGs, though I have two very excellent rep CGs in front of me, which I should measure at some point and draw up in CAD, especially since I'm selling one of them off.

IMG_2311.jpg

Top: LH Pre-V/H~K series manual wind CG

Bottom: Angus Ultimate A-F series CG

Edited by unregistered

Good to know another project coming up for making the CG.

Bear in mind teh A-F series CG is big. So far only JF had the most accurate CG for this series and the actual availabibilty was very limited.

The most clssic and high end reps still are those old day A-F releases.