When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Automatic Movements question

dbrinch

Hi, I've been searching over the forums, google and even asking dealers on what are the significant differences between 21J, Asian ETA and a Swiss ETA. I've been told that the watch itself (i.e. Rolex Submariner) are the same (bracelet, bezel, etc.) and the only difference is the movement. Is this fairly accurate? And, is the Swiss ETA really worth it? Hopefully someone with first hand info can help me out. Thanks.

What watches are you interested in?

My opinion is this...

Most of the watches are the same, with like you said, just the movements themselves being the deciding factor. Sort've like engine options on a car.

Asian 21j are crap shoots. They can be unreliable. They are cheap. With the right know how or watchsmith though, they are a dime a dozen and can be replaced if necessary. The main problem, is they beat slower than real swiss watches. They beat at 21bph, Rolex's current in house movements, as well as the ETA movements that power TAG, Omega's, Breitlings, to name a few, beat at 28.8BPH.

What does this mean? BPH is the tick tock. It is what makes the smooth sweep of the hand. The asian 21j second hand will sweep more choppy, with about 3 ticks per second, as apposed to the ETA (both clone and gen) which will beat (correct me if i'm wrong) 7 times a second, and looks very fluid.

Clone ETA... Right now this is a great option as they're showing to be as reliable and serviceable as a genuine ETA. They beat like the genuine, and just plain haven't had any complaints arising around any of the boards. Probably being pumped out of the same damn machines that make the genuine ETA movements.

Genuine ETA... Well, it doesnt get better then the exact same thing they put in the gen. For the grail watch thats a keeper, that really special watch you want nothing but the best from.. Go for broke, go Swiss(ish).

A7750 aka the chronographs... . these watches (the ones with the little subdials) are the pain in the ass high maintenance 600hp do it yourself turbo civic engine of watches. Basically, plan on spending $200 to have the watch serviced upon receiving it if you want it to be reliable, and know a good watchsmith. Once serviced, they can be reliable as gen based on the findings of our rep scientists on RWG. Basically.. establish yourself with zigmeister if you want a keeper 7750, and have it serviced by him.

and search!!!! Why did I tell you all of that? Man.. I was lucky though, I had dems and high flying clive coach me through it back in my noobness, so its only fair I baby a few of you guys. You know how long it took most guys that come here to figure all that out because no one will answer that question you just asked because it gets asked several times a day and is one of the most debated and sought after topics we deal with and now you have to read this long run on sentence as punishment because ive mixed Australian and Canadian beer and it always gives me problems yet I never learn because somehow that just so happens to be what I get served or end up with the mix max of six packs in the fridge and of course have to drink them all.

I love you. Seriously, db. ahaha... db... douchbag.

If you take this [censored] advice, buy a great watch and dont participate in this forum anymore by paying it forward then you and I are finished. No more love.

Send this to 100 of your friends and donate $1,000 to RWG or every cupcake you ever eat again will taste like hooker taint and not the kind with the cream filling. The cupcake not the hooker taint, the hooker taint will taste like the one with the cream filling.

And thats the basics of the ETA 2836-2. Always wear incabloc shock protection.

P4's got it down in all 'counts...pay it forward...tech info...etc.

As an aside...there is debate here between whether spending the extra for an ETA vs. Asian 21j is worth it. Many members have had bad luck with gen ETA's ordered from the dealers compared to great reliability with the A21j's...others vice versa...so it's a bit of a crap shoot. The issue with some gen ETA's (not all...some dealers get new ones) is that they are often old, unserviced surplus movements...gen yes...but with gummed up dried up lube...so in need of service, but serviceable if you it.

The A7750 is a different beast. Many have great success unserviced for years...others <1 year...bit of a crap shoot. Serviced, they'll run reliably for 5 years at least. They are hard to service...but relatively easy to obtain so can be replaced relatively easily by any watchsmith...about $130 CDN + $100 USD for a swap...vs. $200 + shipping for a service...so it works out close...the issue is that the A7750 may crap out in short order or may last awhile...so if you get lucky, it's more cost effective to let it run 'til it dies and swap rather than service if you have the know how to do the swap...or service it if you want it reliable and know somebody who can do it.

It's fun to learn to do the stuff yourself...so let that be part of the hobby...then the little frustrations can turn to fun learning experiences and challenges.

As P4 said...we've all been coached along the way in the early days...so pay it forward, post your experiences and share your knowledge and keep this forum alive. Read the Noob Guide in my sig to help you along the way as well.

I'll just throw my .2c in, and point out that I have never had any problem with an A21J movement which I did not cause myself

I would never buy the Swiss option if I could buy the Asian option, and the only reasons I will be making a few 'Swiss purchases', is because I need the movements to fit specific hands which are not available for the Asian option...

Happy New Year :)

I'll just throw my .2c in, and point out that I have never had any problem with an A21J movement which I did not cause myself

I would never buy the Swiss option if I could buy the Asian option, and the only reasons I will be making a few 'Swiss purchases', is because I need the movements to fit specific hands which are not available for the Asian option...

Happy New Year :)

I just wanted to say that I rarely read a post on this forum without learning something. Thanks guys for some great info and a good topic.

Happy New Year!!!!

I just wanted to say that I rarely read a post on this forum without learning something. Thanks guys for some great info and a good topic.

Happy New Year!!!!

Always glad if it helps someone :) I admit, A21js are probably more a case of 'replace and chuck' rather than having serviced (cost efficiency) but I really have had no cause to complain for their performance out of the box :) It's only when I start tinkering that things went wrong ;):whistling: