When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how to check the rotor

deniz21

hi guys, i did today a litle bit of greasing the rotor of my swiss eta movement. cause the rotor was very noise and loud and also how can i say this clapping when in motion or what ever :D

then i found in the garage a wax that i think fit for this, so i openend the caseback, and the magnetic cover, and with a toothstick i gave the rotor bearing a little bit of lube:) and what should i say the noise is gone :D

but i have alittle question now, bevore i did this i was hearing the rotor was spinning but now..nothing, i also was trying first to tighten therotor screw but noting it was tight. but now to the question is it correct when you turn the wach 360 and look at the rotor that it flows with your motion, what i want to say the rotor is not to tight now right? i mean he flows with my motion when i slowly turn the watch from one side to another, this is correct, i hope i damaged nothing :D

I don't think you can prevent the rotor from spinning by over tightening the screw. Worst case you may damage the screw or the thread receiving it. However, if you really put some force while tightening the screw I suppose it may be possible to damage the auto winding module. Chances are good that you are OK.

My only curiosity is that you lubed an ETA rotor? Typically this is unnecessary as the real deal has what it needs. There should be some noise coming from your rotor esp if 7750 as they are notorious for their sound.

Cheers :drinks:

ok thanks guys puuuh :whistling: i hope so teejay :)

yes it was a eta rotor, i looked at pics of this movement it was exactly the same, with the engraving on it and stuff..

but krpster, yes but mine was loud imho, when i slowly touchd the rotor and moved it a little bit he was swinging back and forward after the little touch and there he makes some noises, like clapping to metal things togethere, but after the lume in the bearing the noise was gone, when i rotatet it slowly there was no big noise but when it was swinging there was the noise.. maybe normal? i dont know.

but its history :D

i only think the bracelett is clapping know when i shake the watch, but this i maybe do later, need a dry wax for this.

and i looked again no i think the autowinding is ok cause, when i turn the watch and the rotor moves, the two little gearwheels start to move. all ok the right, i was little bit afraid cause the watch is the first one i ever opend i did something on it :D i also screwd the regulator screw a little bit cause it runs 10-15 sec a day to fast. hope i didnt turnd do much on the screw. but tomorrow i will know that :thumbsupsmileyanim:

but its a great feelin to do something on your own much :) never did bevore

• 3 weeks later...

What grease or oil is the best to use to lube the rotor ?

Regards

raffo

A very fine oil is to be used on the rotor bearing. A very small amount. Over oiling will cause the oild to spread elsewhere into the movement. This is very easily done if you have never serviced a movement before.

A small drop (and I mean the tiny amount on the tip of a fine dip oiler) should be placed on the bearing balls. As the rotor moves the oil will be distributed through out.

if the rotor spins (over excessively in my case) and the movement is not charging correctly i.e the watch stops regually during normal wear, but does charge a tiny amount with an over excessive shake of the watch... is this a rotor screw issue or a movement issue?

additionaly, what type of screwdriver do i need for rotor screws?