When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Take Care! Never Run Around A Swimming Pool With A Rep

vmena

Today I was playing some tenis and after finishing I took my little son to the swimmingpool. I was watching him while he was swimming and talking with a neigbord. I was wearing my brand new PO 42 in rubber strap when my friend notice it and said: "What a beauty! perfect for swimmng... let's go take a bath with our children!" OMG! :wounded1: I felt like going to die, since I never before tested my PO on water, but what could I've said in that moment "no sorry, I have to take my watch out before to swim". So I took that bath and right after I started to feel very unconfortable (I was waiting for the watch to get wet inmediatly :( )

But the good part of the history comes now!!! The watch passed the test with outstanding results :group:

No water inside after 4 hours... :Jumpy: I'm happy :D But I would never put my self in a similar situation again :bangin: Just to let all of you know...

Today I was playing some tenis and after finishing I took my little son to the swimmingpool. I was watching him while he was swimming and talking with a neigbord. I was wearing my brand new PO 42 in rubber strap when my friend notice it and said: "What a beauty! perfect for swimmng... let's go take a bath with our children!" OMG! :wounded1: I felt like going to die, since I never before tested my PO on water, but what could I've said in that moment "no sorry, I have to take my watch out before to swim". So I took that bath and right after I started to feel very unconfortable (I was waiting for the watch to get wet inmediatly :( )

But the good part of the history comes now!!! The watch passed the test with outstanding results :group:

No water inside after 4 hours... :Jumpy: I'm happy :D But I would never put my self in a similar situation again :bangin: Just to let all of you know...

What i am concerned about is why you are taking "baths" with your friend... was this friend of the opposite sex?

What i am concerned about is why you are taking "baths" with your friend... was this friend of the opposite sex?

Because bathing is a synonym for swimming. That's why they call those things "bathing suits."

"Excuse me, do you speak American?" - Robert MacNeil

Edited by kanerich

I have seen more posts about sucessful water experiences than stories of the watch fogging up or getting water in it. It seems that the better reps are at least water resistant to a practical degree. Mine have the rubber seal, and if the caseback is tight and the crown is screwed down, it should work.

Since I have taken off the casebacks and put them back with a tape ball :huh: (no rolex caseback tool yet), I don't have the nerve to take them swimming.

Bottom line is, I think that if you check it first and make sure that it's properly sealed, a little dip here and there won't hurt most of the good reps. (But don't whine when your crystal explodes because the HE valve on your SD rep didn't work :p )

Any other first hand experiences?

I just got water in my MBW 1680. The crown/tube were replaced with a genuine. My watchsmith thinks it's a matter of the crystal seal as that was also replaced by whomever I got the watch from.

I would probably never wear it while swimming, just a matter of preventing any possible problems...

Running around with my 16month old daughter at a pool-complex, I was not sure about taking my SMP GMT rep off, but I thought "[censored] it" and jumped in with it, playing and diving in the pools for 4-5 hours, and not a speck of fog or anything in the watch.. I'm happy with that.

I swim with just about any rep I own. I guess I would think twice about those with chrono pushers but otherwise no big deal. I never take my gens swimming though after a couple of bad and mucho expensive experiences with gen AP and Breitling. I don't recommend it to anybody else though and I do have virtually all my better reps checked before hitting the water. :)

I have to agree with the other guy about using every watch for whatever the hell you wanna do.... I had an ok Pulsar that I went diving with, both snorkle and scuba.. Wasn't a diver's watch, but hell, you can SEE if it's gonna be somewhat water resistant... I have yet to ruin a single watch with water.

Remember what someone here said about acting the part when wearing reps?

Nothing would be more embarassing to see a nice, visually accurate sub or PO fog up when it gets wet. I take all my diver's watches to a local watchmaker to have all gaskets and o-rings lubed and waterproof tested. $25 - I call it cheap insurance.

I have to agree with the other guy about using every watch for whatever the hell you wanna do.... I had an ok Pulsar that I went diving with, both snorkle and scuba.. Wasn't a diver's watch, but hell, you can SEE if it's gonna be somewhat water resistant... I have yet to ruin a single watch with water.

I never take my reps off. Have never had a problem with swimming or shower hot tub ect.