When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Birthday Cash Burning A Hole In My Pocket

unkul

I'm not a PAM expert but i think that you need another birthday for that kind a specs you are asking

For 400 pounds your getting close to this

Tourbyrocks.jpg

By the way congratulations for your birthday

Carpe Diem

Cats

Thanks for the replys. I am more bothered at the movement being solid as apposed to it being swiss. I guess i am a little wary of asian movements that may be suspect, especially as i am willing to spend a few quid i don't fancy it breaking down. Regarding a second hand i like the look but its not imperative. The case back is a combination of a few things. I am aware that the Paneristi can spot a fake no matter what its like and everyone else (non watch people and to be fair people like me who are switched on to the world of reps) couldnt tell a mediocre copy and good copy apart anyway (within reason). Some of the pieces on the sales forum vary a lot in price but seem to be quite similar in looks.

In short what i really want is quality and good looks(don't we all). Some of the pieces ive seem look as good as gens to me and some look a little to be desired IMO.

Thanks

UNK

let's come at this a different way. personally my favorite classic pam is the 112. it has a sandwich dial, but does have see through caseback. the reps of this watch have an asian movement, but the 6497 movement is pretty simple -- i personally don't think you get much out of an upgrade to swiss. if i were you i'd buy one of these ($198 including shipping), send it to ziggy to be relumed and the cannon pin raised (~$150), and buy yourself a nice strap (~$150-200). that would be well within your price range of

After i said all that i really like this (on a vintage strap :thumbsupsmileyanim:)

DSCF9628.jpg

pic credit to rg member jac259

I wanted that PAM really bad, but was talked out of it by several forum members. Ended up ordering a fiddy which I should be picking up tomorrow!

If you want a quality rep out of the box, speak to DSN.

My next will probebly be a pam156 ultimate. That one will need relume, better strap, T48 crown, cg modding. Already having fully modded 249, 252, 243, 177. Had 253.

The Asian 6497-2 is a pretty solid movement which is not worse or even a bit better than the Swiss ETA 6497-2, ONCE SERVICED. The Zigmeister reviewed this asian movement and came sort of to this conclusion. I always let the 6497-2 movements serviced as it makes them run better an be more reliable and servicing a 6497-2 just costs around 70-80usd. Servicing a A7750 will get you somewhere around/from 200usd. Don't know The Zigmeister current pricing. My watch smith in Holland charges 175euro for 7750.

About the sandwich dials... Are you aware that the panerai sandwich dial models are not very 1:1? You might want to read this thread started by RWG/RG member Unregistered: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=91659

So if you want to have a reliable and relumed panerai watch and with a nice strap, I would choose

1. Asian 6497-2 movement

2. Relume by Vaccum or The Zigmeister

3. T48 steel crown from member 'T' while they still last or wait for new palp crown from member opcrown

4. Service by Vaccum or The Zigmeister

5. Strap

6. removal of AR coating, or if 2 sided AR, removing of top coating

7. crown guard pin modded, making it flush and crown guard lever less floppy. for this several DIY are available on this forum or on Repgeek.

But beware... it will take months before your project is finished. You may also look out on the forums for a used modded watch, since those also come around or you may want to make a WTB thread.

You may also go for a A7750 based model, but those are less reliable UNSERVICED. And servicing will add to the price and will go over your budget if you also want to have it modified.

And if your want to get a better strap, better order the rep with a rubber strap. Always useful on hot days, pool, holidays...

Cheers!

Most reps are waterproof to around 3-5bar/atm. That is NOT 50 meters. It is also not enough for swimming diving. Just to get wet. Although many members do swim with reps. Reps with screw down back and crown are most waterproof or with pam crown guard. Reps with chrono pushers are less waterproof. the pam112/000 will be quite waterproof. specially if the cg is able to push the crown quite tight against the case, closing the rubber gasket well.

My pam243 was tested this week for waterproofness this week up to 7atm. That is good enough for swimming. Since reps quality differ per watch it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to test each individual watch if you intend to swim/shower with it. Regular jewelers that have a repair service can do this testing. No need to let that be done by guys like Vac or Zig.

A pam000 or pam112 for instance can still be done within a budget. Let's say 200usd for watch. 150 for lume en cg modding. 70usd for T48 crown and installing. 75 for service, 80usd for nice strap. 575usd. you can calculate how much is that in GBP. Some models have already high cannon pin, so not always the need to have more expensive high cannon. pin.