When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the "build it yourself" strap kit

madasboot

Looks very interesting.

I would like to buy some, but I usually stitch my straps first on a wider piece and then cut them later to the width.

Maybe I could buy several kits that are uncut and still in one piece? Or pay extra to get them 38mm wide?

How long are the strips?

Would it be possible to post some more pics to get a better idea of the color ?

Sorry for so many questions :D

You may consider me over sensitive but i decided that the "build it yourself" kit is not a good idea even if i still regard it as a good concept.

Let me clarify some aspects:

1 - I consider myself part of the RWG with all the other fellows that took part since its beginning and continue to contribute for its lively character and interest;

2 - I adress other fellows as friends. In fact I have good friends here and since i travel a lot i had the pleasure to meet some and all that i met - with no exception - are close friends despite the geographical distance.

3 - I never send PMs without properly adressing to somebody i do not know from anywhere. I believe in values as elegance and respect and i am tired of PMs from people who adress others with uncivilized manners. From now on I will reserve myself the right of not replying.

4 - English is not my first language and for that i try to be much more concise when i post. I do not understand how people can elaborate without reading. Reading and listening are two precious qualities in nowadays. For that i also reserve the right of not replying.

5 - I am not a seller as most of friends or close fellows at the forum know. The omly things i sold were movements that i paid for and sold because i did not needed them at the time. I did not have profits over those sales and the price covered the mvmts the shipping and an extra 50 euro for the time i spent sourcing.

6 - I earn my money with my professional activity and even being less than i could do i live with it and my options and i feel fulfilled with that. I love what i do and watches are a hobby. An extravagant hobby if vintage is your focus since it requires time availability and technical resources.

7 - As a hobby vintage projects take time as most of the fellow modders can tell. I am used not to rely on any other means and resources and usually i try to establish contacts myself and take the opportunity to produce things as plexis or source goods like vintage leather or movements or improve techniques and knowledge i have been sharing on the forum.

9 - My educational principles rely on sharing as a standpoint so i feel much more fulfilled with that than with a sale.

10 - All the people that contributed and contribute to the cohesion of the forum and of each other projects have proved more than once to be friendly, generous and attentive. Those are the ones that always made me feel home in this forum and with whom i identify.

11 - Leathersmits, plexismith and watchmakers and all the expert craftsmen i had the chance to meet never charged me for the work they did on or for my watches. The only things i pay for are the materials or components for the projects. I try to compensate them ordering parts they need from ebay or sourcing stuff like tools for instance since they do not accept my money. Neither they charged for the work on RWG friends projects. Thats a beautiful principle if you are prepared or educated for it.

8 - Both times i dealt with unreferenced people and decided to help things went imho wrong. Members like mendota to whom i sourced springbars for a RXW never got time to PM thanking me for it. I didnt charge him anything for them and even supported the shipping. Another guy (does Jon Hoffman ring any bell?) offered to work on vintageizing a 6152 case and i sent him that plus a cortebert mvmt to compensate him for the metal work (i am not good at that). I never saw the case set back (and he must have kept the mvmt since he didnt return it either). I even had been insulted by other member who called me a snobbish a**hole when i refused to sell him a cal.616 and was very surprised when i refused to take 800usd for one in the beginning of the vintage fever. I believe he would call me worse if he would find out that i sold it for 180 euro to one of our best fellow members. Its sad dealing with people that think money is everything.

I will conclude that i will not sell leather or deal with people that cannot read or adress others properly.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but i am tired of the disrespective attitude some people show towards other people efforts.

I apologize to all the fellows and friends that contribute positively to the forum and whose efforts and generosity makes this forum a wonderful place and family to be part of.

My idea was to offer the kits to the interested members and not to profit over it. The leather was offered to me so I thought the best way to hommage it would be spreading it among all the interested wrists with (or without) my design. For free except the buckles (12 euro).

Another bad idea.

We are all amateurs... but with manners!

M.

You may consider me over sensitive but i decided that the "build it yourself" kit is not a good idea even if i still regard it as a good concept.

Let me clarify some aspects:

1 - I consider myself part of the RWG with all the other fellows that took part since its beginning and continue to contribute for its lively character and interest;

2 - I adress other fellows as friends. In fact I have good friends here and since i travel a lot i had the pleasure to meet some and all that i met - with no exception - are close friends despite the geographical distance.

3 - I never send PMs without properly adressing to somebody i do not know from anywhere. I believe in values as elegance and respect and i am tired of PMs from people who adress others with uncivilized manners. From now on I will reserve myself the right of not replying.

4 - English is not my first language and for that i try to be much more concise when i post. I do not understand how people can elaborate without reading. Reading and listening are two precious qualities in nowadays. For that i also reserve the right of not replying.

5 - I am not a seller as most of friends or close fellows at the forum know. The omly things i sold were movements that i paid for and sold because i did not needed them at the time. I did not have profits over those sales and the price covered the mvmts the shipping and an extra 50 euro for the time i spent sourcing.

6 - I earn my money with my professional activity and even being less than i could do i live with it and my options and i feel fulfilled with that. I love what i do and watches are a hobby. An extravagant hobby if vintage is your focus since it requires time availability and technical resources.

7 - As a hobby vintage projects take time as most of the fellow modders can tell. I am used not to rely on any other means and resources and usually i try to establish contacts myself and take the opportunity to produce things as plexis or source goods like vintage leather or movements or improve techniques and knowledge i have been sharing on the forum.

9 - My educational principles rely on sharing as a standpoint so i feel much more fulfilled with that than with a sale.

10 - All the people that contributed and contribute to the cohesion of the forum and of each other projects have proved more than once to be friendly, generous and attentive. Those are the ones that always made me feel home in this forum and with whom i identify.

11 - Leathersmits, plexismith and watchmakers and all the expert craftsmen i had the chance to meet never charged me for the work they did on or for my watches. The only things i pay for are the materials or components for the projects. I try to compensate them ordering parts they need from ebay or sourcing stuff like tools for instance since they do not accept my money. Neither they charged for the work on RWG friends projects. Thats a beautiful principle if you are prepared or educated for it.

8 - Both times i dealt with unreferenced people and decided to help things went imho wrong. Members like mendota to whom i sourced springbars for a RXW never got time to PM thanking me for it. I didnt charge him anything for them and even supported the shipping. Another guy (does Jon Hoffman ring any bell?) offered to work on vintageizing a 6152 case and i sent him that plus a cortebert mvmt to compensate him for the metal work (i am not good at that). I never saw the case set back (and he must have kept the mvmt since he didnt return it either). I even had been insulted by other member who called me a snobbish a**hole when i refused to sell him a cal.616 and was very surprised when i refused to take 800usd for one in the beginning of the vintage fever. I believe he would call me worse if he would find out that i sold it for 180 euro to one of our best fellow members. Its sad dealing with people that think money is everything.

I will conclude that i will not sell leather or deal with people that cannot read or adress others properly.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but i am tired of the disrespective attitude some people show towards other people efforts.

I apologize to all the fellows and friends that contribute positively to the forum and whose efforts and generosity makes this forum a wonderful place and family to be part of.

My idea was to offer the kits to the interested members and not to profit over it. The leather was offered to me so I thought the best way to hommage it would be spreading it among all the interested wrists with (or without) my design. For free except the buckles (12 euro).

Another bad idea.

We are all amateurs... but with manners!

M.

I am quoting your post as I feel it illustrates very precisely important values that ALL members should consider before joining this community (or any other community, be it real or virtual).

You state that English is not your first language, but despite that you have made very important points in a very clear and "to the point" manor.

Your directness and honesty is very much appreciated.

Thank you.