When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

high lead content in replicas?

BobDog

Anyone know if replica watches can have a high lead content? I'm hearing about toys and fake jewelry coming from China that is potentially hazardous to ones health because of lead. I'm thinking maybe some of the lower end reps that are chromed might be.

Here's the article:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/state&id=6785824&rss=rss-kabc-article-6785824

Cheers,

Ace

Scary, but I don't think we have anything to worry about, buying from the dealers here, who don't sell the really low grade stuff. I don't even recall any 'chromed' pieces at all, just gold plated/polished SS.

Member 'Bike Mike' did the quintessential post regarding the SS content here;http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/108905-316l-really-update-%2335-gen-rolex-case/ and he reported no levels.

You know, regarding the lead hazard to children, these reports are important, but hell, all my life I've pinched lead fishing weight split shot with my teeth. I turned out OK pretty normal reasonable so's I can drive a car and feed myself.

Lead is only going to be a hazard if you ingest it. I am sure there is lead based paint used in some of the dials, or inserts. Again, non-issue since the dial is sealed off. Just don't chew on your bezel, or let your kids chew on your watch. :)

Been spending my day in the lab testing the Gen Rolex case as my puter has a wonderful virus! So I will be updating my above post.

Anyway, you do not have to worry about lead in stinaless steel or most steels for that fact. Lead does not play well with other metals due to the extremely low melting temp. Stainless Steel melts around 2500 degrees F, about 4 times hotter then what it take Lead to melt.

Any traces of lead found in products made from stainless steel or plain steel is usually from soldier used to join to pieces together.