When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate GMT II Ceramic from Josh

Martyd3

SO what you are saying is that this model has the incorrect hand stack but that there are versions with the correct stack, right? But the versions with the correct stack aren't any good?

There were versions with the correct handstack and many, but not ALL, were eventually dead. I have a version of the original CHS GMTII with a pepsi bezel that still runs fine and also a copy of the CHS GMTIIC that keeps great time. The problem with the newer version I have is a crappy power reserve. When the reserve gets low, say it's been lying on my nightstand for a day or so, it loses time badly. If I were to get it out the watchbox, wind it fully and then wear it for a few days, it keeps near perfect time. Again, crappy power reserve.

Does this 'new' version from Josh correct the problem with those big gaps between the SEL and the first link of the bracelet??

I have 316L ICHS ETA version from Josh, and while I really like the watch, the BIG GAP between the SEL and the first link is SUCH a big flaw to me...

I find it strange that no one seems to comment on this?! Yes, the rehaut engraving is wrong, as it is on MOST of the Rolex reps, and yes, the hand stack is not right. But both of these things aren't readily apparent to anyone besides the AD, a good watchmaker, or a Rolex afficionado.

Any comments on these gaps? :huh:

Nice looking watch, really has sheen. do you think anyone else in the world would be able to see or even know

about the rehaut engraving? diddo for the chs, etc. the AR on the cyclops i think may be noticed by a very astute observer.

I think since we know what all the "tells" are, it's easy to point out the flaws. Everyone else, especially without a loupe, would not know the difference. You can rotate the bezel and play with the crown and you will think it is a gen. The bezels and crowns/tubes on BK's Subs and Yachtmasters do not feel this good. You really need to study the gmt hand to see that it is not the chs. The rehault engraving is very subtle and although misaligned at 9, is not an issue to me ... all in all, the watch is that good.

What gaps? I suspect that it has not been commented on because most of the reps do not have the gap (mine does not). Can you post a good, clear macro pic of the gap in question?

There are DEFINITE gaps between the SEL link and the first bracelet link. Please note, I'm not refering to how the SEL fits between the lugs - that's FINE! I've NO CAMERA whatsoever, so I can't take a decent pic at all... plus my GMT-IIc is in for a full service (it was gunked up at delivery...)

I CAN refer to BY-TOR's review of this watch, and the pics of the comparison between the GEN and REP done by Dan on Repgeek here Look at the wrist shots: The gen bracelet curves correctly off his wrist, the SEL and subsequent bracelet links all evenly spaced. The rep bracelet hangs so that you can see a BIG gap between the SEL link and the first bracelet link. It means that, when on your wrist, you see the top of the first link, not the progressive, evenly spaced curve of the bracelet... if you know what I mean!?

Look at this pic from BY-TOR's review: 1-9.jpg

The gap is EASILY seen here... it is SUCH a significant difference to the way ANY Rolex bracelet falls, and obviously NOT the way the gen does. :g:

I'm REALLY hoping that this new 316F version from Josh has had this SEL-to-FIRST-LINK thing sorted out... I love my GMT-IIc(I'm servicing it as proof, aren't I?!)- but sadly this gap really BUGS me, and I'd LOVE to fix it somehow...

I'd really appreciate any comments on this..! (sorry if I'm being pedantic... I just think this is more obvious than even the REHAUT engraving!)

Looking at By-Tor's pic, I see what you mean now. But I have to say that, even now that I am aware of it, I would never notice on someone's wrist or use that as an indicator of gen vs rep since bracelets tend to develop spaces between the links due to the inevitable stretching that occurs with usage

047-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg