When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

General info for historic purpose

rolexmaniac88

I can't help but asking myself three questions i haven't been able to find an answer on the internet:

1) When does the crown etched logo was introduced on rolex's crystal? Year of introduction

2) When did Rolex made the lug holes disappear from the outside of their cases? Is it the same year for every model?

3) When did Rolex introduced the rolexrolexrolex engravings against counterfeits?

I'm especially looking for infos regarding the submariner.

Thank you all in advance for your precious help!

PS: i love this forum more and more everyday.

that is fabulous what you are saying about not knowing why some Z serials got the chapter ring and why some don't. But do you know when this was introduced? If it started with the Z and M serial, that would mean somewhat in 2006-2007, right?

that sounds about the time line.. I think since Rolex has toned down the visibility of the engraving.. looks kinda cheesy to me..

some of the other members could nail it for you though..

It's hard to tell when these things came about- of course, Rolex won't talk, so it really comes down to when everyone else picked up on the changes.

I figured the etched crown for around 2004, lugholes went away around then also- 2003-4 (for a sub) and rehaut engraving- late Z serial to M - 2007-2008. V serial is new for 2009.

Still waiting on the 116610- guess I need to stroll by the AD!

regarding the crystal..

MICRO-ETCHED CRYSTAL... Brand new for 2002, Rolex has started micro-etching a tiny "coronet" (or crown) logo into the crystal, at the 6 o'clock position. This mark is quite small, so it is difficult to see with the naked eye.