When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look who came to visit me yesterday

P4GTR

A Sandhill Crane couple. I've heard them around and I've been looking for them. Finally, yesterday morning they were right outside the house. They let me get within a few feet, as long as chunks of a tasty hoagie roll kept coming.

SandhillCrane2.jpg

SandhillCrane3.jpg

SandhillCrane1.jpg

SandhillCrane4.jpg

SandhillCrane8.jpg

SandhillCrane7.jpg

My new friends followed me home!

SandhillCrane10.jpg

SandhillCrane9.jpg

Nah, they actually were walking away from me. :(

I was on my way out to walk this beast, but left her in the house and grabbed my new SLR camera to take those shots with.

IMG_0633.jpg

I'm new to photography with a "real" camera. Frustrating at times, but fun. Thanks for looking. Sorry they aren't watch pictures...

I'll compromise and leave you with this parting shot...

SDC10597.jpg

Wow... :good:

this is the very first time I've seen them outside of Japanese murals or Playing cards..I am truly in awe.. to me they equate to viewing the Bald Eagle.. but Eagle's Ive seen.. these cranes I have not..

they are truly Beautiful creatures..

and that is one ferocious beast you got B :1a:

Thank you very much for posting these.. I have to send it to my folks to view.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC/Lani

Funny, I don't like dogs much and i'm allergic to cats, but I love birds. We have a few parrots in the family. Wasn't scared of these guys at all. I could tell if they didn't want me around, and I would've obliged.

This morning, I saw them again. I was concerned that I only saw one by itself because they usually stick together. Hopefully the other is ok!

I'm not sure but I think they might be year around residents. I've never researched it. I think they were just a species that was on the brink of extinction like the whooping crane and now they are making a comeback.

When I see them they are so tall I just figure they could easily peck your eye out. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

They are FL residents. Sandhill cranes do migrate south, but there is a subspecies that is resident to this state.

The Florida Sandhill Crane is far less common, with some 5,000 individuals remaining. They are most threatened by habitat destruction and probably depend on human management in the long run. In Florida, it is protected, and if killed, carries a very high monetary penalty. This subspecies is under protection of state and federal law at this time.

Though the Sandhill Crane is not considered threatened as a species, the three southernmost subspecies are quite rare. While the migratory birds could at least choose secure breeding habitat, the resident populations could not, and many subpopulations were destroyed by hunting or habitat change.

Thanks for looking and posting. :thumbsupsmileyanim: