When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

shipping under a false name

edgematic1

My Hublot Luna Rossa from Hont will be ready soon. Right now I'm hesitating concerning the shipment.

Hont will ship it via DHL or FedEx, probably DHL he says. Now, as I don't want any troubles with the customs, I'd like to know your opinion about using my real name but misspelled or simply using a false name.

Now, DHL & FedEx will need to see my ID when they deliver. So both names won't be correct, though with the misspelling I am sure I'll be able to get the package.

The reason why I'd use the misspelled name or a false name is because of the fact, if the customs seize my watch, they'll send me a registered letter. When my the name is wrong compared to the ID, I cannot sign it. So I'll never receive the letter.

What are your thoughts about this?

Anyway, thanks in advance

Edited by edgematic1

I can't agree with doing it this way.. imo.. your bringing more "attention" to yourself with "false" documentation..

one thing that will blow horns is to lie to the powers that be.. which would again.. imo.. cause more problems than going the already circuitous route.

in other words don't dig a deeper hole..

jus ma .02

AC/Lani

I can't agree with doing it this way.. imo.. your bringing more "attention" to yourself with "false" documentation..

one thing that will blow horns is to lie to the powers that be.. which would again.. imo.. cause more problems than going the already circuitous route.

jus ma .02

AC/Lani

+1

I'm (alas) a lawyer in Switzerland and after reading the rules that exist here I'd say if you'd try to pull something like this off here customs would make certain you will regret it. Maybe this is different where you are.

I don't understand why you don't simply order from a EU based dealer? Or if only Hont has the thing you want try to find somebody in UK who will forward the watch to you. Small favours like these can easily returned by sending a little present or something...

Just my two cents.

Val.

Be better to UK by EMS not so much customs issues with taxes. If you cant get it elsewhere I will forward on to you mate no problems I am in UK

Also to be fore warned..... if you should get a certified letter from customs .. which I have gotten on occasion.. but I have my addy at a mail center and not my home addy.. so it is signed for by another party..I don't respond.. it would serve no purpose .. my not replying may claim guilt anyway.. once you receive a letter and your items are seized or returned to the point of origin .. you will then be in the "system" as having contraband in the pipeline..

So as Val points out.. a few extra dollars or Euros to order from a dealer who has contacts in the EU or by using a middle man and have it forwarded is worth .. again imo, the extra money.. considering the ramifications ...

jus ma .02

AC/Lani

+1 It's like a polygraph, you have to be honest or it will backfire!