When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bracelet lever pin tool.

offshore

In my many years around the forums, I have never completed a review, so this is a first.

In truth it is mainly for my benefit, as I am seeking some feedback as to what the members here think of the price VS quality argument.

As most here know, I have recently entered the tools business, and each day I sit pondering these quality and pricing questions.

So I would like to take a real life scenario, and look at three very similar (from the outside) tools.

In question here, is a lever style, bracelet pin remover.

Chinesepinpusher.jpg

Innocuous enough you may say, it just pushes out pins in bracelets.... sh*t I can do that with a hammer & punch! And yes, you can! However if you are doing it regularly, one of these is a real timesaver.

So let's analyse 3 different models-

First up a Chinese built unit, regularly offered on ebay from say $12-$20.

Leverpin21Chinese.jpg

Note that the "throat" is very narrow. In fact it is only 21.0mm wide, so any wider bracelet than about 21mm will not fit inside.

Next, in trying to line up the pusher with the pin head, you need at least a couple of mm clearance to view what you are doing, so in reality this unit will push pins from a maximum 19mm wide bracelet, at best. In reality more like 18mm.

DSC01472.jpg

The head of the pin pusher carrier, which acts on the lever arm face is very roughly finished, so combined with a raw metal finish on the lever arm, the action is "rough"

Leverpin21Chinese-1.jpg

This one is supplied with a spare carrier and pin,

Leverpin-1.jpg

although both pins are the same size, 0.8mm.

Next up is an Indian built unit, which initially I thought was offering all the answers.

These are available around in the $18 -$30 price bracket.

Indiantool.jpg

The "throat" on this unit is a little wider at 22.6 mm, allowing for a 20mm bracelet to be viewed and pushed. However note that the lever does not allow the pin to retract completely,

DSC01607-1.jpg

so unless the pin is shortened, the workable area is in fact 19mm with an 18mm bracelet being the optimum.

This one does have however, some level of machining on the pin pusher carrier, and also on the lever arm face, so a good smooth action is felt.

It comes also with a spare pin /holder. Fitted, is 0.84mm pin, and the extra supplied is 1.04mm.

Seeing the 3 normal pin sizes found are 0.8, 0.9, and 1.0mm,I guess these 2 cover most scenarios

It is supplied with a fabric zippered pocket, external finish is anodised, and it presents reasonably well.

Pity about the throat width!

These when seen sell at $20 -$35.

Finally is an "Anchor" brand- model from Japan.

Leverpin32.jpg

The throat on this one is a whopping 35mm with 32mm being a workable/useable size.

So most bracelets known, will easily be worked on inside this unit.(As long as they are wide ones!)

The action is smooth and clean, all surfaces are well machined and finished (it has a nice knurled main arm with a plastic mouldedfinger grip.) and a clean anodised external appearance.

This one is also supplied with a spare pin/pusher measuring0.075 (presumably for a 0.08mm hole,) and fitted was a 0.0975 pin. It came in a velcro sealed PVC case, easily the best of this group. It however is also the most expensive, and has the drawback that due to the wide throat, you can only push bracelets down to about 14mm as the pin runs out of "travel".

DSC01603-1.jpg

These sell on the 'bay from $25 upwards, and I have seen them at well over $40!

I am now using the 2nd and 3rd of these, to cover all options.

One annoying factor I have identified, is that they each use a marginally different size/style of pin/carrier, which means carrying spares for both models.

In daily useage I have also identified an issue with the size of the gap on the "out" side of theunit.

DSC01604-1.jpg

I have enlarged mine, as I found if you weren't exactlysquare, you could "lock up" the pin coming out, and break a pin tip.

DSC01606-1.jpg

So there you have it, a quick round up of a few different models.

Now I'm not saying this is anywhere near a full list, just some I have looked at lately. More it is to point out some of the deficiencies found in various tools, and somethings to look for if purchasing one of these.

I will be most interested in any thoughts on either the products, or the quality vs price arguement.

Offshore