When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breguet Limited Edition Rep... thoughts?

mt666tm

i'd only be getting it cuz i Like the style of the watch. As long as it works and has a decent movement that will work for a while then I can have some fun with it. I think i'll give it a shot

I know it's not an accurate rep of a Breguet by any means, but i think it's cool looking, and it's not like i'd be wearing it anywhere that i'd get called out on it...

Is there anywhere you can get a non-branded / no-name version?

I have the black face version, which I bought from Andrew at Trusty Time. At first it had problems with a loose chrono second hand; sent it back for repair, which was successful. Then, it just began randomly stopping every now and then, so I sent it back again. I just got it back a few days ago and it seems to be running well, within 5 seconds per day. I probably just received a mild dud, and yours will be fine. It's really a pretty nice looking rep considering what it's trying to mimic, and I don't feel embarrassed actually wearing it around, as nobody's ever heard of the company anyway ("Bregg-oo-et? Is that French?"). Be warned that the case is actually 42 mm in diameter without the crown; all the dealers say 40 mm. So, I say go for it, and enjoy what for all intents and purposes looks like a $50,000 watch.

• 2 weeks later...

It's got a good movement. When you start getting into reps of $30,000 watches the movement is one of the smaller issues. :whistling:

I disagree. the movement is such an important issue . I seriously question if making replicas of such a complicated watch makes any sense at all. It looks good but everything else about the watch is a lie.. wearing such a watch with faux functions is no fun to me. would make me embarrased. Imagine meeting a true horologist wearing this thing and it turns out that the moon phase is a simple day night indicator..abdominal if its during the day time and a smiling sun appears.:animal_rooster:

Agree that this is not a good rep, but not because there is a problem with the movement.

It is a Lemania based Seagull ST19. As Breguet actually owned Lemania for some time this one makes some sense here.

The movemenet supports moonphase and not day/night.

And it has a good reputation for reliability.

Agree that this is not a good rep, but not because there is a problem with the movement.

It is a Lemania based Seagull ST19. As Breguet actually owned Lemania for some time this one makes some sense here.

The movemenet supports moonphase and not day/night.

And it has a good reputation for reliability.

Well maybe there is no smiling sun and thats truly great..maybe I was too harsh :drinks:

But regarding the moonphase mbjoer is not true that:

"The 24h indicator is directly synchronized with main hour hand, either used as 24h indicator or with the hand replaced by a day/night disk as a faux moon phase - day night indicator."

The ST1901 movement is nearly identical to the Venus 175 - parts are interchangeable. But the movement is not a copy or clone. It actually is the Venus 175, because Seagull has purchased the tooling from Venus in the early 1960ies. Seagull did copy the tooling to be able to produce at 2 locations. Differences or improvements to the Venus 175 are the increased beat (the Venus only had 18000 bph) and an added incabloc style shock absorber.

As far as I know the movement comes in at least 6 variants:

ST1901

2 register,

small seconds at 9,

30 min counter at 3

(Ex Venus 175 - parts compatible, Venus parts can be used for repair)

ST1902

3 register,

small seconds at 9,

30 min counter at 3

12 h register at 6 (non chrono!),

The 12h register's hand is directly geared to the main hour hand - bloody useless. See the "Schaferwatches" 3-register chrono, the 12h in the register is always in the same position as the main hour hand.

ST1903

3 register,

small seconds at 9,

30 min counter at 3

24 h register at 6 (non chrono again),

The 24h indicator is directly synchronized with main hour hand, either used as 24h indicator or with the hand replaced by a day/night disk as a faux moon phase - day night indicator.

ST1905

2 register,

small seconds at 9,

30 min counter at 3

decentral power reserve at 4:30

(Plazeon chronos)

ST1907

2 register,

small seconds at 9,

30 min counter at 3

central power reserve indicator

ST1908

4 register,

small seconds at 9,

30 min counter at 3

date at 12

day/night window at 6

Edited by Gran

• 4 weeks later...

@ Gran:

Only saw your posting today..... - a bit late. Sorry!!

I admit not to know too much about movements.

However I have in my hand a Zenith el Primero with moonphase. The dial configuration and the movement appear totally similar to the one shown here and it is a proper and well functioning moonphase watch. Hence my assumption that the one shown here is also a proper moonphase movement.

Edited by mbjoer

• 3 months later...