When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

/

RWG Technical

I have since worked on a few more of these models, and none of them had the hairspring problem.

I want to stress again, this is a hairspring issue ONLY, and easy to fix or replace the entire balance.

I find it strange that people are blacklisting this movement, when it can be fixed easily, yet they still go out and buy a Daytona with seconds at 6, and all the UNFIXABLE problems that movement has...strange...

RG

The new asian 6497 can be fixed and get it to perform like it should. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Asian 7750 is an adventure....... :g:

vaccum

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't be surprised, Ziggy...Your word carry a lot of weight on these boards. Your initial post reported an inherent problem with this movement, and contained a warning. In the absence of other empirical data, I would say that is enough to change the buying plans for the majority of members.

Honestly, I am surprised... I never think of my posts or reviews as more than my way of providing insight to the members here. I put them out there for everyone to see and make their own informed decisions.

Good, bad, or indifferent, I report what I see. Until someone else steps up and does the same from their perspective, I guess what I offer (and the feedback from Finepics and Vaccum) is all we have to go on...

RG

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have to join the club of badly made 6497's . My new Fiddy died and I posted about it but had not read this suberb post by The Zigmeister yet. It explains much and I hope that David will fix it. Before going through the international re-shipment process though, I will get an opinion from the watchsmith here and report back his opinion. It seems a shame that the good money spent on a seemingly quality timepiece is marred by this defect. Whatever the outcome, I do love the watch and will see it through.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I have to join the club of badly made 6497's . My new Fiddy died and I posted about it but had not read this suberb post by The Zigmeister yet. It explains much and I hope that David will fix it. Before going through the international re-shipment process though, I will get an opinion from the watchsmith here and report back his opinion. It seems a shame that the good money spent on a seemingly quality timepiece is marred by this defect. Whatever the outcome, I do love the watch and will see it through.

HM,

please correct me if I'm wrong but your Fiddy comes with the Swiss ETA 6497-1 H-Series OPXI mov't with CDG bridges and S/N regulator. That movement is definitelly Swiss ETA and diferent from the one described in this post.

The one we talk about here is a new breed of E-series movements, so called 'hybrids' which are more Asian than Swiss as it seems like all the drivetrain and decorative bits are Chinese, except for the mov't baseplate. Since this movement contains 2/3 of Asian produced bits, it cannot be called Swiss, and selling it as a "Swiss ETA" is definitely something some of us will always frown upon.

Davidsen is one of the dealers who is deliberetely refusing to sell and install this movement into his Fiddys, simply because he does not want to mislead us (buyers) into thinking we're buying a Swiss ETA movement.

All in all, I hope your current H-series mov't issue all works out fine in the end.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola