When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to remove stem from this movement?

nagyr

• 11 months later...

on a 2846 make sure you remove the stem in the hand set position, why would you just want to swap the stem?

Andy, forgive me. i meant to say Crown swap. A few beers at dinner, a few more surfing the net and my brain is scrambled. I have a gen crown id like to put on myself.

Gen crown fit on my PT 1680 but not sure if its water resistant or not. I always release the stem in the winding position on all my watches. Ive heard people argue both ways, but so far I havent had any problems. Be sure to use nothing but a 1.2mm screwdriver on that ETA to remove the stem. The keyless works are EASILY wrecked by pushing that little button in too far.

AFter removing, I measure from the end of the stem to the base of the crown with calipers to get the length. Then I hold the stem with some needle nose plyers and carefully unscrew the crown from the stem. Then you just screw on the Rolex crown. Be sure to make the length the SAME as it was before. You may need to use a half drop of GS hypo or locktight to hold the stem secure at the right length. Then carefully reinsert the stem turning it slightly to "wiggle" it in if needed. Its pretty easy to do.

Hmmmmm. I just took the stem/crown out. I measured, and took the crown off and put the new crown on, measured again and reinstalled the stem/crown.

I can:

1. adjust the date

2. adjust the time

3. wind the movement

I cannot screw the crown back into the watch. Anyone have an idea where I went wrong?

Side note: I read how the gen crown is smaller than the rep but I didn't notice much difference.

EDIT:

> 5 minutes later after playing around with the crown I was able to screw the crown back to "wearable state". One problem, I turned the crown maybe, maybe 2-3mm. Not the normal turns as you would expect.

> I am thinking I screwed the crown onto the stem a little too far. What do the pros think?