When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a few paper weights.

Simo

I'm told one is a Daytona, is that correct? If it is, it's likely to be the secs@6 model. That movement is well known for breaking down and generally not bein a very happy watch movement!! Not sure what the other one is, but it will likely have one of the myriad probs that gos with the a7750!

Where are you located? There are some really top quality watchsmith's on the board, Zigmiester is in North America and Domi60 is in the EU. Zig is quite probably one of THE best watchsmith's around and from what I'm told, Domi isn't all that far behind him!

Both are on the boards, although I think Zig may be on vacation/family time right now.

Sixx :bones:

I wouldn't throw them out yet- There's a chance they can be revived :) Well, the Radiomir is very likely as it looks as though it's possibly only the rotor that needs to be replaced? If you give the watch a couple of easy, slow winds at the crown, does the balance start to oscillate?

The Daytona... Hard to say. I think if the running seconds at 6:00 are disabled, it may have a good chance of being repaired. But these are notorious for failing due to their modified construction.

Thanks for all the posts the rad the weight came off brought a watch open as I thought I might be able to fix it but could see no way to get it back on. If i manually turn the crown it will start working again so I think there might be hope there.

The Rolex has had nothing but problems since I got it. It has sec at 6 sometimes this watch can work fine for a few hours then it will just stop other times it wont start at all.

I am based in London.

I also have a Pam which the sec hand has fallen off so that watch is also a paper weight so I have three watches in total which I need to get fixed. So far I have brought 6 watches and three are broken but I have not given up yet just went for the Deep Sea Dweller from Josh which I hope to last a bit longer.

Am I just unlucky or is this what other people have experianced?

Simo,

I think you are probably a little more unlucky than most. While the failure rate of replicas is higher than genuine watches, they certainly aren't 50% which is what you are running.

One problem that we all encounter is movement selection. If you read the posts here, especially the reviews done by some of our respected and knowledgeable watch experts, you will find that some movements are inherently more reliable than others. The ETA movements such as the 2824-2, 2836, 2893-2, etc. are really bulletproof, provided they are serviced: Clean, lubricated and regulated. Some of the other movements are notoriously bad and have a terribly high failure rate. Some of these are the correct hand stack movement in the Rolex GMTII, and the seconds @ 6 A7750 in the Daytona. These movements are characterized by what I describe as "bastardized' movements. These are the movements that the rep manufacturers alter in some way shape or form to make the movement function in ways that it was not intended. It is not to say that every one will fail, because there are members here who have these movements in watches that have never had a problem. Overall these movements are more prone to failure than most.

Your Daytona may have a simple fix, maybe not. The PAM loose rotor should be a very easy fix. I believe that there is a very good watchmaker who works on replicas in the EU. In the EU look up Domi, Bricciola and possibly Francisco here on the forum

Good luck

OK so here is the deal the watches cost me $300 (each) in the first place it look like it is going to cost me $160 to get them sorted out?

If I get them sorted out I run the risk that in 3 months time they break again and I am faced with another $160 cost.

What would you do?