When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wow

Nogs

Obviously we already know that the guy in the AD DID NOT KNOW it was a rep. people in AD's often have no idea about the quality of reps. They're often just hired help. Now specialty and vintage shops are another story. Those guys have to be on point, because their business is buying and selling exclusive models working with new, used and

vintage models..

Yea... Most Do...So What?

Edited by bundamania

To the OP - Yes, it is quite true that the average sales person (& even some store managers) knows little or nothing about the watches he/she sells. Accordingly, it should come as no big surprise to anyone that the counter staff know little or nothing about the quality of modern reps. However, & this is the salient point, with watch dealers closing right & left due to slow sales, you can bet that stories about your gen-like rep will make their way back to Rolex. And Rolex, also feeling the economic pinch of their bottom line (much due to the proliferation of gen-like reps), is (quite understandably) not likely to be as pleased as the sales staff appeared to be.

If the AD clerk can't tell the difference, what good is his or her opinion?

Agreed. His or her opinion isn't important.. which is why his opinion shouldn't be sought.. one thing is wearing a rep into the store (which i can understand happens), but another thing is showing it off or blatantly telling the salesperson that you're wearing one..

I think we are all deluding ourselves if we think that corporate agents from Rolex, LVMH, Richemont, Swatch Group and the rest are not well aware of exactly what our trusted "collectors" are up to. They would stop them if they could.

I would imagine that they periodically buy from them anonymously to gauge the quality.

In fact, I would not be surprised if they have even infiltrated this forum and the others.

The idea of someone strolling into an AD with a rep, and having it's repercussions blow the lid off our hobby is a little far fetched.

-Andy

I'm willing to bet Rolex reads this forum. google "replica forum" top 5 that comes up is RWG, now suppose you had a brand that you knew was being counterfeited, wouldnt you be in the loop for the interests of your intellectual property? To assume no one from Swatch or Rolex reads, studies, or has access to the internet is ignorant. All companies know where they stand with regards to their reputations based on consumer feedback via forums whether they admit to it or not, it just makes good business sense to be informed.

that being said....

wut up Hans?