When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836 woes

sneed12

I have two ETA movements in pieces on my desk right now. Both needed service after I was a lazy idiot and used a pin instead of a screwdriver to get the stem out.

One is an ETA 2836-2 with GMT instead of day/date. I got it apart and back together and I thought I had all the keyless stuff in the right place. However, when I install the stem and try to set the time, it seems like some gears aren't engaging fully. I get a crunchy noise when I turn the stem one way, it slips when I turn it the other way. In one click seems to turn the date and GMT wheel, but with the strange noises I wasn't going to play too much with it.

The other movement is also an ETA 2836 but without day or date wheels. It had the same problem, and I got it apart and back together without issue, but it no longer handwinds. It hacks, the datewheel turns in the first position, and the hands adjust in the second position, but in the fully-in position it will not handwind.

I desperately need a picture of a 2836 taken apart, so that I can be sure that I've got everything back where it goes. I found the flash tutorial of the 2892 and it's been really helpful, but it's not exactly the same.

The GMT movement definitely has something installed incorrectly in the keyless, because it makes the noise even when I take off the gear that engages the hands (sorry I have no idea the names of these things). As far as I can tell, though, everything is the same as the other one.

I think I also had that gear in upside down, which was why it wasn't engaging the hands in the 2nd click position, I think I have that fixed now.

The other movement is also an ETA 2836 but without day or date wheels. It had the same problem, and I got it apart and back together without issue, but it no longer handwinds. It hacks, the datewheel turns in the first position, and the hands adjust in the second position, but in the fully-in position it will not handwind.

The problem with this one will be the spring that holds the winding gear against the crown gear i dont have a photo but here is a shot from the tech info.

post-1258-126485106721_thumb.jpg

I've sorted out everything on the one movement, and it's back in a watch and running... like a Swiss watch :)

The other movement (the GMT) everything works except it's not hacking anymore... I'm hoping it's a simple problem like the first one, something slightly out of place. I've sorted out the crunchy noise (setting gear was in upside down) and all of the GMT bits are back where they go, and the handwind is working.