When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problem with date/seconds hand on a gen Longines

jmarin.72

i would like your opinion regarding an issue on a genuine Longines (eta 2824)

Seems that the seconds hand has stopped moving,the date cannot be changed by turning the crown

but the watch keeps time and the hour and minute hands are moving correctly.

Any ideas on the problem?to me seems like a keyless works problem but i might be wrong

Thanks

J

J i have been trying to think what the problem can be here i dont think it is the keyless works because the hour and min hand are still working but the seconds are not,They are all connected on the same gear train. So i am a bit stumped as to what it is with out seeing it in person.

All i can sujest is a service and the problem will become apparent when it is stripped.

It may be that there are a couple of different issues here, the date issue could just be a matter of the position of the crown on the stem, and the seconds hand may just be slipping/disengaged; and the 2 problems are not related as such.

Couldn't agree with Andy more, go for a service and the issues and solutions may become more apparent on disassembly.

O/S

If the hour and minutes work, then the second hand wheel has to be turning. The hand may not be turning, but the wheel has to be. Which means that the hand is not connected to the second wheel post for some reason.

As for the date not turing by the crown, that is most likely a problem with the quickset date gear, if the keyless does everything else (wind and set the time) then the only possible problem is the date quickset gear itself.

The quickset date sounds fairly normal, but the seconds hand seems really strange, did anyone work on the watch, or was it dropped?

Thanks for your answers Rob,Andy,Alan :victory:

The watch belongs to a friend and he has already sent it to his AD for a proper investigation.I posted this cause i found the

behaviour of the watch very strange and the two symptoms are indeed not connected.My friend swears that all he did was to turn the

crown and screw it in place. :whistling:

I have no further info since i first posted this thread,but i will definitely let you know about the cause of this when my

friend gets the watch back.

BTW Rob the EXP II is now working great,hairspring was stuck indeed and also the rotor place was off place!!!so much for the

"HANDLE WITH CARE" procedures of the Postal Services!!!

Thanks for your replies guys :thumbsupsmileyanim: