When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decorated A6497 bridges reworked for proper surface treatment

kbiz

So I bought an ultimate Fiddy from the Cartel for a vintage project I'm working on... while taking a break, I decided to lap the main bridge plate to see if there's any hope of significantly improving the look of the decorated A6497. I think there is... I don't know if anyone already tried this trick, but I think it's going to go very well. Reworking the beveling along all the edges and inside jewel's cylinders and mounting holes and I plan on a light surface plating of black chrome in the cast engravings which done lightly will show up only gray... then after lapping away any over chroming, I'll spin the plates on the lathe and give them the proper star-burst brushed pattern... followed by a surface plating of nickle. I think it's going to look a million times better...

Here are some pics after lapping down to 1200 grit sandpaper...

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

Look forward to seeing the results. I've been polishing up some really bad CotesDeGeneves bridges (the ones with high ridges and a greyish tone to them),that had broken jewels in them, whenever I had a spare minute or two. I used that AutoSol Metal Polish to do it, and it seems to really make an improvement - ridges lower and more of a shiny silver look instead of dull grey. If it turns out alright, I'll take some before (I have another set of the same type bridges untouched) and after shots.

what the heck is pearlage??

Shiny pwnage? :)

If you sre going to those lengths then you should get the base plate done with pearlage like the gen

Let me know if you need it doing,

Is this a service you offer? I have a couple of base plates that I wouldn't mind having "pearled" up :)

Would also like to see Doc's mod on the CDG bridges :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well if it ends up looking better than what is usually found on them, I definitely will post some pics. If it doesn't ...

That is perlage, it is created with a diamond impregnated silicone stick in an upright motor

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01255.jpg

DSC01258.jpg

DSC01272.jpg

Once it is done it will need nickle plateing (i can do gold plating at the moment but not nickle as i dont have the chemicals, if people wanted this doing then i would get them in)

I do perlage the back of dials when i use skeleton movements with dials like in this one

DSCF0459-800-600.jpg

DSCF0473-800-600.jpg

CotesDeGeneves finish is created using a large cutting disk and the job set at a slight angle, i cant do this as i dont have the right set up

If any one is interested in a hand made skeleton i have this one (seconds at 6)sat around doing nothing right now offers in the €500 area

DSCF0117.jpg

ok I'll find one... I make a lot of my own toolings for my metal lathe and upright mill... if I had to guess I'd say it's not a disk but a little fly cutter... I can make that pattern on large plate stock using a fly cutter on my mill with a holder angled very slightly...