When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6497 movement winding clicking sound?

hackR

hey...

just wondering if someone knows the answer to this question:

why is it that some 6497 movements make a louder clicking sound when winding than others?

i find there's no rhyme or reason as to eta, swinese or asian movements and whether the winding sound is loud, semi-loud, or whisper quiet...there's also a "smoothness" factor when you wind that is correlated to the sound...

i have no movements - to my knowledge - that have been watchsmithed serviced, too...but i realize that each movement may be lubed differently...is it the lubrication?!...

if you have a few 6497 movement watches - you probably know what i mean...

i have (10) 6497 movement watches - and find the sound varies whether the movement is eta, swinese or asian...

any insights would be appreciated...

thanks - R

The Asian 6497 movements are prone to clicking on winding. Ziggy can tell you all about it. It isn't that big of a deal unless it starts slipping when you are winding it. Then you replace the movement.

The more Swiss the movement, the smoother the wind. Also a freshly serviced Asian will wind smoothly in my experience.

thanks, DL...

but i'm finding that some of my swiss click loudly and some of my asian click softly...and vice versa...it's almost random...

not worried about it really - but just wondering if it has something to do with components or whether it is related to the level of "service" in the movement...more a curiousity than an issue...

R-