When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A mile stone post and a mile stone for replicas

FxrAndy

I just read this post by Collector and if it has got to the point of deciding between a great rep and an every day rep, have reps (not all but some) got to a point where they challenge the quality of gens in real terms the OP seams well informed and is asking for advice on what to buy it seams in this case although the price of the rep is cheaper that it could be a real choice rep or gen

Personally I agree with one of the posters on the OT. That is if you appreciate the movement as much as the watch looks itself then buy the gen.

But yes I agree some of the better reps do challenge the lesser gens for build and quality. But is that not to be expected given the origins of manufacture or parts currently for the majority of these watches.

Also his choice wasnt like for like so I think that clouds the issue somewhat for debating direct comparison.

Reps are getting really good but I think Collector is actually asking a different question and may not even know it. Would he rather have a really good rep of what is a $4,000+ used or $6,000+ new watch or a $1200-$1500 used gen. The YM is good enough that the answer lies in which one would he rather be wearing daily - a more upscale Rolex YM or a standard Omega. It is a testament to how good reps can be.

I think like for like would have been purely financial, the fact it was not struck me!

I think that was more because he liked them both but the gen of one was out of his price range whereas the other brand was not. In the end he went for both I think...

If it had been Like for like, then maybe it would be more about value for money rather than just a simple financial decision. Though I am inferring that 'purely financial' is based on affordability.