When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Red Sub Experiment

jmb

I had a little time on my hands and a bunch of crap, err parts, scattered all over my bench and got a hair-brained idea. I'd wanted to build a Red Submariner for quite a while but hadn't came up with a proper case. I had a $40 Sub which had been my first lug hole victim and was pretty beat up so it looked well used but it had a mineral glass crystal w/cyclops. I had a rather incorrect Red Sub dial, a riveted vintage style band, a Clarks T-29, a DG2813, and a set of hands so I figgered all this junk would take up less space if it was a watch so I started building.

I popped the crystal and found with a little "stretching" the gasket snapped onto the bottom of the T-29 so I ran a small bead of GS Hypo where the crystal would seat and pressed it home. I then ran a light bead of GS Hypo around the recess where the mineral glass crystal usually sits and then pressed the T-29/gasket assembly home. It fit satisfyingly snug so I set it aside to let the glue dry. I then glued a rather incorrect date wheel overlay onto the 2813, installed dial and hands, and by that time I figured the glue would be dry. I tossed everything together, snapped the bezel down, glued on the insert, and at a glance the mish-mash of pieces almost look like they belong together!

It will never pass even moderately close scrutiny but I can add it to my ever growing pile of beaters as another "shop watch". I find I have a hard time wearing just one watch and normally will go through the week wearing 2-3 but find I seem to prefer the vintage looking ones. I think tomorrow I'll de-case it and do a proper job on the CGs as I didn't realize how ugly they were until I took the pics! Only a couple months ago I would have thought the CGs to look just fine - y'all are a bad influence!!! :lol:

rse 1.JPG

rse 2.JPG

rse 3.JPG

Thanks, really I'm just a hack compared to the stuff Ubi, Lani, and Freddy crank out!

When I got into this hobby (not too long ago) instead of jumping in and laying out $300-$400 for a super-rep I bought a mess of $40 watches to "play" with. If I messed one up it didn't matter 'cause it really didn't cost much and what was left was "spare parts". It's surprising what you can learn by reading this forum and attacking a cheap watch without fear of failure!

Thanks, really I'm just a hack compared to the stuff Ubi, Lani, and Freddy crank out!

When I got into this hobby (not too long ago) instead of jumping in and laying out $300-$400 for a super-rep I bought a mess of $40 watches to "play" with. If I messed one up it didn't matter 'cause it really didn't cost much and what was left was "spare parts". It's surprising what you can learn by reading this forum and attacking a cheap watch without fear of failure!

That may be, but it's very obvious you got skilled hands and a gift few are lucky to posess. Congratulations!

Val.