When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob bracelet warning...

automatico

While drilling a noob sub bracelet out to accept 2.0mm submariner springbars...one outside piece of the SEL separated from the center. The SEL links appear to be soldered together.

If you look closely, the SELs appear to be made in three pieces...and they are. Apparently they are not stuck together very well and can come apart. I was cutting from 1.9mm (previous cut) to 2.06mm in a drill press using medium speed and a petroleum base lubricant (CRC 5-56).

For this reason I would recommend to stay with 1.8mm DJ type springbars and not drill a three piece SEL out.

The case serial number was the famous F120117 and the SEL is marked AD 93250.

Models with one piece SEL can be drilled with no problems.

"WM9 SELs (as well as genuine) are three piece construction as well, but held together with tension pins (not solder)."

Thanks! The picture tells the story.

All my genuine stuff is the older style with hoods and the only sporty model I still have is an old 1675 with a jubilee bracelet so the ins and outs of SEL are new to me.

It might be possible (but never easy) to drill a shallow hole in the inner and outer pieces of the SEL and install stainless steel dowels to keep the pieces lined up but there is not much metal so it would be a hassle.

Probably not worth the trouble.

Maybe I'll swap the guts into an earlier case with drilled lugs and a bracelet with hoods and make an older model. I'm already beginning to miss the flexing, rattling, and hoods sawing into the case.

Meanwhile, it's on a Velcro strap. :giveup: