When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Dubai a good place to buy reps?

Simo

The only place I came across reps was in the Gold Souk, youre virtually followed by guys whispering "you want Patek, we got Patek".......But trust me nothing to hold your hopes up for....most of the watches are very poor quality and "fantasy" models and theyll be asking for $100/watch........I'd stay stick around here and get one from the dealers......

Good luck though, and have fun in Dubai.

A lot of the stock for GZ is actually shipped to the Middle Eastern Countries.... dunno exactly where.. but they are there..

Thats true

But u wouldn't find something that is worth more than $50

I've seen so many reps, and alot of fantasy models that are just not worth looking at

:evil2:

Oh yes, it's a good place - the Gold Souk is OK (make sure it's the old gold souk, not the one near the Mall of the Emirates), but quite awkward, there are lots of guys who will offer you watches, then drag you off to some shop or flat off the beaten path, it takes a long time but the prices are reasonable (don't forget to batter that price down).

My favourite place in Dubai is Karama - it's a pretty run-down looking shopping area, but pretty much every shop will sell replica goods by the bucketload. Because there's loads of choice, the price is good. Try looking for a place called the Jade Dragon (could be wrong on that name, but I'm sure that's it).

There are also a few really good indian restaurants there. Not good as in flash, but exceptional food for a few pounds.

Make sure you have the right exchange rate with you, otherwise people will try to play the price down with a conversion in their favour.

Last time I was there, I bought a PO, a Longines Master, a BRM V12, two IWC's and a TAG Monaco. The time before I came back with a couple of Patek's and a Carrera. Average price was around

They're pretty much all Asian, either manual or auto. I have bought more expensive movements in the past, but bear in mind that the trade in Dubai is targeted at tourists, so the subtleties of ETA -v- Seagull would be lost on most people who buy there.

The better movements are there, and I've only ever found them in Karama, and it's been more luck than judgement. Last time, I was taken to a place over the road from the main centre by a chap who lead me into a showroom which would have put many an AD to shame, he had some cheap movements, but most of his stock had reasonable quality movements. The prices were higher, obviously.

Whilst there, I made a conscious descision to only buy at the cheaper end, so that if I did run into customs issues on the way home (I never have, but you've gotta imagine that having half a dozen "quality" watches tucked into a pocket in a backpack may seem suspicious) I wouldn't be losing too much cash.

Oh, and the other thing to note is that, according to the sellers, pretty much every movement I have is Swiss, and in one memorable conversation "same as real Omega" :whistling:

don't spend too much, and enjoy it - it's a fun way to buy watches!

Just got this advice from a bloke over on trip advisor on Karama:

"Some find it a bit run down and dusty would be my words. maybe not a shanty town but a poorer district with poor imigrant workers.

I would not describe it as mini bangkok and remember a lot of the stuff is sold to support crime out of dubai and certain militant groups as that is what most of the counterfeight trade is about.

I think in recent years many have come to realise that and the imporatance of not buying from these people. There not lawful so dont contribute to the dubai econmery

Dubai is pretty crime free so it should be fairly safe, but i suposse going into places that are very much off the beaten track can be intimidating because you dont know where your off to, if there are false doors /walls etc there there for a reason ie the trade is highly illegal and would you do the same in your home town or down the deprieved areas of south london.

A few years ago their were a couple of popular shops stick with them perhaps if there still around. green eye i think one was called and i guarantee you will pay over the odds."

Sounds like it is going to be a great place to visit I cant wait

Interesting points, the only one I'd agree with is that the trade is illegal. Sure, it's run down, that's not in dispute, but you're not there for the architecture. As for the immigrant population, well, it's Dubai. It's all mostly populated be immigrant workers - mostly Indian. Is it safe? I should say so. I've been there loads of times, and I've never felt in any way intimidated or threatened. I always travel alone and will happily eat where the locals eat and shop where the locals shop. As with any city, there is some crime, watch your wallet, as pick-pocketing is not unknown, but overall you'll be safer in Karama than in Camden, I reckon.

Is it true that the good AAA+ reps are hard to find now since there has been a crack down from police?

I think that some of the posters on tripadvisor are paid to post as it is the same people over and over again. I get the feeling that they are trying to get the tourists to stay away from Karama. I could be wrong guess I wont know until I go there myself and see.

Most of the reps are so-so, but that's more to do with the general audience than the police. The most common buyer in Dubai is European and on holiday, they will probably buy a Rolex and won't be that interested in the accuracy of the copy, or the quality of the movement. To be honest, if it wasn't more expensive, they could just take a pen, take a Timex and lovingly recraft the first three letter from Tim into Rol. Nobody would notice.

There are loads of great watches there, but being an individual with a clue will put you in the minority on your side of the counter, bear that in mind and shop well, and you will come out of it well. As I've said before, I've had loads of fun there.

Richard