When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

which crystals can fit on 1665 superdome rep

aeromatic

My 1665 trusty comex (latest version) submariner crystal has cracked! and i never liked this crystal because it distorted the dial to much i realize that it was designed for easy reading, underwater. i love the tropic-19 i like the high flat top with a distortion only on its edges

will this crystal fit on this case? if not has anybody fitted other tropics on this case

any feedback will be appreciated thanks! post-27094-126693841111_thumb.jpg post-27094-126693857539_thumb.jpg

Edited by aeromatic

All you can do is try! Between a 1665 and the 5513 there is little difference in the crystals. But yours is a chinese rep, some people have swapped in aftermarket crystals w/ success, others had no luck (me included). A pair of digital calipers would be a good start. Then you at least know what dimensions your original crystal is and you can go from there.

All you can do is try! Between a 1665 and the 5513 there is little difference in the crystals. But yours is a chinese rep, some people have swapped in aftermarket crystals w/ success, others had no luck (me included). A pair of digital calipers would be a good start. Then you at least know what dimensions your original crystal is and you can go from there.

thanks alligoat i get down to george loiz shop and well check the size,trustys site i think says they have interchangable parts so i will try if not then i will get george to make me a crystal i like the case on this version im also planning to put in a yuki escape valve

and a slow beat 2846 eta, not sure about the yuki dial for fitting in this case thanks again!

Edited by aeromatic

T-19 might not have the necessary height to fit correctly; you'd be better of getting a helfands T39 (flat style) and adding a bevel to the edge or getting a Clark's T39 SD crystal for relatively low cost solutions. However, I agree with aligoat, and would recommend that you mic the inside and outside diameter of your existing crystal to ensure proper fit. I do know that the crystals I cited will fit an MBW, but if your 1665 is of the newest CN reps I can't say for certain what will or won't fit (I understand there are some examples being delivered with the retaining ring fitted with an additional nylon gasket, and I've yet to see one of these in person otherwise).

As for the dial- If your current dial is 26.5mm, the Yuki dial should fit, no problem.

I think the major issue with the PT crystal is the compression ring has an ID which is considerably larger than the OD of the crystal although the ID of the crystal and the case appear to be compatible. This requires the use of the nylon/plastic "spacer" or a custom machined compression ring to secure the crystal. I have no idea why they did it this way unless to use up some mis-machined parts or maybe the use of a compliant spacer makes manufacturing tolerances on the ring less relevant in order to reduce scrappage.

T-19 might not have the necessary height to fit correctly; you'd be better of getting a helfands T39 (flat style) and adding a bevel to the edge or getting a Clark's T39 SD crystal for relatively low cost solutions. However, I agree with aligoat, and would recommend that you mic the inside and outside diameter of your existing crystal to ensure proper fit. I do know that the crystals I cited will fit an MBW, but if your 1665 is of the newest CN reps I can't say for certain what will or won't fit (I understand there are some examples being delivered with the retaining ring fitted with an additional nylon gasket, and I've yet to see one of these in person otherwise).

As for the dial- If your current dial is 26.5mm, the Yuki dial should fit, no problem.

thanks ubiquitous you have been very helpful, mine doesst have this nylon gasket i have been down to george loiz shop and he is going to make me a cystal flat style with the edges beveled to look like the T-19 and has already made me a new retaining ring, for the crystal ,thanks again your info will be useful for my new sd same case as the comex!!!!

I think the major issue with the PT crystal is the compression ring has an ID which is considerably larger than the OD of the crystal although the ID of the crystal and the case appear to be compatible. This requires the use of the nylon/plastic "spacer" or a custom machined compression ring to secure the crystal. I have no idea why they did it this way unless to use up some mis-machined parts or maybe the use of a compliant spacer makes manufacturing tolerances on the ring less relevant in order to reduce scrappage.

thanks jmb for you info and and think you are correct about the scrappage idea!!! iv decided with this watch to have george loiz custom make me a compression ring and a new flat style crystal with a T-19 beveled edge to look similar to the T-19

i will keep you posted when its done and mabe post some pics thanks again for your help!!!

well george loiz finished my comex submariners crystal and "george loiz made pearl!" im much happier now that that superdome crystal has gone! the watch now sports a 5mm thick cut flat,with a beveled edge and a new retaining ring!

Heres some pics!

post-27094-126729871986_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126729879629_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126729913609_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126729923482_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126729930397_thumb.jpg

and the pearlpost-27094-1267299732_thumb.jpgpost-27094-12672997899_thumb.jpg post-27094-126729949394_thumb.jpg and the water resistant test in a bowl of water overnight!(shes tight)post-27094-126729987822_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126729993652_thumb.jpg Thanks george Loiz! for making this watch one of my favorite for everyday wear! next to do is a yuki helium escape valve to replace that dummy valve!!!

Edited by aeromatic