When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD Case Opener

omgiv

Has anyone bought a caseback opener for the DSSD? I saw one when googling the other week for $70 but just found some on eBay for about $20 for the die alone and $24 for the die and handle. Was wondering if the die is of good quality. I may just have to try it out when I pull the trigger on one.

I would be extremely wary of cheap dies or sets for any Rolex.

There is already a history of issues with other dies, specifically the 29.5; we searched long and hard to find a die set which was an exact fit for both the DSSD and the standard 29.5 caseback.

See here - http://www.rwgforum....post__p__735684

and see Ziggy's comments here - http://www.rwgforum....post__p__750357

If the die flutes are even a little loose in connecting with the case back, you can, and will do some serious damage to your watch.

Ours sells at A$50 to forum members, http://watchbitz.com.au/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=240

and A$70 to the public ( You must register to get your forum discount), and I can't sell them any lower than that. So those others being offered are from a different source.

We are currently negotiating on die sets for Panerai and Omega case backs, and they will also be of similar pricing.

Offshore

I tried the duct tape method on my DSSD but only the tool from Offshore did the trick (because of the two-part construction of the back).

It is this device with two red balls on each end. It has (among others) these jaggies for Rolex and is adjustable. I cracked open all Rolexes so far without any problems. Thanks, Offshore.

Edited by Dr.Verylong

Just a quick update on this one.

I have now been advised that indeed an alternate supplier is now offering a die only.(Or a complete kit)

I have a couple of these enroute and will check and test them against the known good model.

Should this alternate model prove to be of an acceptable standard, we will have it available at around A$20.00.

Offshore

Just a quick update on this one.

I have now been advised that indeed an alternate supplier is now offering a die only.(Or a complete kit)

I have a couple of these enroute and will check and test them against the known good model.

Should this alternate model prove to be of an acceptable standard, we will have it available at around A$20.00.

Offshore

That's gonna be great news for many DSSD owners on here! :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I received the die only units a couple of days ago, and have tested them on a rep and a gen.

Fit and feel was good, and no sign of slipping.

Here is a quick and dirty shot.

DSC01677.jpg

In viewing the two dies, I still think the one supplied with the handle is a cleaner cut and maybe a better grade of material, but that is all pretty subjective.

The new one looks good, works OK, and for someone not doing heaps of work with it, should have an item which lasts for years.

We will be offering these at $20.00 plus postage.

I have six in stock for immediate dispatch.

Email me at watchbitz@bigpond.com, and advise your country for a post cost.

Offshore