When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2824-2 won't wind

preacher62

I noticed that there are no other threads here, but thought I would throw this in anyway.

I have a 2824 that has me puzzled. When you push the stem in to the winding position the yoke does not push the castle back quite far enough to engage the gearing on the pinion. I have taken it apart multiple times and cannot seem to make it work. I have adjusted the spring on the bridge and have adjusted the yoke just a tad. Gears are good. Stop lever is in the right place, just never had this problem before. Nothing changes anything.

All the parts look good. It is not an old movement so I don't think wear is the problem. Maybe something got bent and I didn't know it. Everything else seems to work fine. My only solution is to buy new parts and put them in.

Has anyone seen this before?

Mike

I noticed that there are no other threads here, but thought I would throw this in anyway.

I have a 2824 that has me puzzled. When you push the stem in to the winding position the yoke does not push the castle back quite far enough to engage the gearing on the pinion. I have taken it apart multiple times and cannot seem to make it work. I have adjusted the spring on the bridge and have adjusted the yoke just a tad. Gears are good. Stop lever is in the right place, just never had this problem before. Nothing changes anything.

All the parts look good. It is not an old movement so I don't think wear is the problem. Maybe something got bent and I didn't know it. Everything else seems to work fine. My only solution is to buy new parts and put them in.

Has anyone seen this before?

Mike

Are you sure you have the correct stem?

Along the same lines, with the stem out of place, is the clutch gear engaged into and butted up against the crown wheel?

Look at each assembly as you assemble it, test and inspect each step, try simply inserting the stem until the square boss engages into the clucth gear, you should be able to wind the watch without the stem actually locked in place.

When you find the problem, you will have learned a lot just from the process alone...looking forward to hearing what you find...

Yes,it is the correct stem. I can wind the watch with just the stem in place. As a matter of fact, I can use my tweezers, with everything assembled, to just push the yoke all the way back and then it will wind, it's just that the mechanism does not seem to move the yoke back far enough when I push the stem in to winding position.

All the parts are working together like they are supposed to...except...

I must have damaged one of the parts, but they look fine.

As an exercise, I may take the keyless works out of another movement and replace the parts one at a time and see what happens.

Thanks for responses. If you have any other ideas please pass them along.

Edited by preacher62

Now this is really frustrating. I went through the exercise and now have duplicated the problem on both movements. They will set time, change date, etc., but the yoke does not put the crown ratchet back far enough to engage the pinion ratchet.

WOW...

I can't tell you how many times that I have taken the keyless works apart and put them together with no problems.

Any help appreciated.

I had this problem once on a 2836.

The yoke (and correct me if my terms are wrong) pushes on the ratchet wheel because it in turn pushes on a flat sprung part of the works.

I found that the yoke had overlapped the spring slightly so that there was no pressure on the yoke, therefore the ratchet wheel would not engage the winder. Simply resetting the yoke onto the flat spring cured it.

Apologies again for not knowing the correct terms for these parts. I hope you get the gist.

Yes, it is. I am puzzled. Have taken this apart and reassembled several times today. The parts only go together one way. I have disengaged the hack lever, just to make sure that wasn't getting in the way.

I must not be assembling it correctly, but I just can't see the mistake. Everything works but winding. Time sets, date sets...

The set lever pushes the date corrector lever as far as it will, until the set lever tip hits the pin on the corrector lever. I don't know.

Are there any other secrets with the bridge, other than the tab you mentioned.?

I had this problem once on a 2836.

The yoke (and correct me if my terms are wrong) pushes on the ratchet wheel because it in turn pushes on a flat sprung part of the works.

I found that the yoke had overlapped the spring slightly so that there was no pressure on the yoke, therefore the ratchet wheel would not engage the winder. Simply resetting the yoke onto the flat spring cured it.

Apologies again for not knowing the correct terms for these parts. I hope you get the gist.

I just took it apart and put it back together again. There's no spring there. There is a spring on the Asian-made DG 2813 that gets in the way and you have to make sure that it is positioned correctly. I have an exploded diagram of the keyless works that I have referred to. I have ddone this for years, that's why it's so frustrating, however, I haven't disassembled one is several months.

Thanks for the idea.