When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any experience with sandblasting?

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

I wonder if anyone had any experiences with sandblasting. Would it be difficult to acieve this gen case look:

AP-TourAuto-1.JPG

AP-TourAuto-2.JPG

AP-TourAuto-3.JPG

AP-TourAuto-5.jpg

From this rep case look:

4490_P_1267519408828.jpg

4490_P_1267519408895.jpg

One more difference is tachy inner bezel but they already have it in montoya rep so I am sure I would get it no prob.

How do you think I can achieve this look, what sand shoud be used what equipment?

I checked out this Breitling sandblasted by another member and result looks far off from what I would like to achieve to match gen ap looks:

beatblast12.jpg

beatblast15.jpg

Any ideas/advices?

TIA!

You will need very fine grain sand, mild airpressure and a very fast and steady hand.

The look you want is not something hard to do, what is hard is to avoid ruining the fine edges of the case - lettering on the back.

Also you should blast from the same angle all the time (if you dont the watch will produce different coloring, shading under strong light).

The Breitling is extremely ruff in texture, he used a really sharp media. The AP looks exactly like an Omega that I experimented with, use fine grit glassbeads on low pressure, should come out perfect. Avitt is probably the man you should talk to, if you need help with the project.

Guest avitt

First things first: Do not use sand for media blasting! Sand breaks down into sharp, craggy bits of silica, which if breathed, can embed themselves in your lung tissue...Causing the nasty disease silicosis.

(End of public service announcement.)

You guys are correct that this is just a matter of picking the correct media, which in this case would be fine or medium grit glass beads. Glass beads are round, and actually peen the metal, without cutting into the surface.

Contrast this with the Breitling, which was blasted with more aggressive material, like sand or aluminum oxide. These types of media cut into the surface, causing a much rougher and darker looking appearance.

Here are some parts that I've blasted with fine glass beads:

img5050.jpg

And a part that I've done with aluminum oxide:

img5398j.jpg

Guest Sql_pl

Already discussing it with King and Avitt. We will see, I hope I can get tachymeter insert. That way after blasting it would be close, I only just noticed it shouold have painted AP on dial, reps come with metal AP, but there is nothing I can do about it I think.

What I also noticed and consider funny is how they didn't bother to create that new "60 BASE 1000" tachy specifically for Tour Auto that already has Swiss Made on dial. They just used Montoya one so it ends up with Swiss Made under Swiss Made. Looks weird :)

203.jpg