When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG watch from way back?...Old forum

gpuck

You guys are smoking dope. A fond rememberance? I have mine and will keep it but I remember the other side of it. First, there were the famous Blade stories when he disappeared - "ran off with the money and driving a new Acura", "drafted by the Serbian Army" and finally "thrown in-jail". I also remember the admin team desperately trying to figure out how to make the monthly payment and living in fear as to when the domain subscription would expire. And I remember the thousands of members left hanging. But what I remember first and foremost was Thomas (Admin) stepping up and providing a home at TRC and ultimately starting this place.

Fast forward to today and the rep forums, the management thereof and the hobby itself have now moved onto a whole new level. Long live all of the forums. We will never let that happen to us again. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Exactly how I remember it! I did not believe I would ever see my watch or money after Blade went missing. Did anyone ever get the real story behind his disapearing? Does anyone know how many were completed? Mine says it was 60/100 but never really knew if they made 100.

Gpuck

@ gpuck, when we started this board our very first initiative was to put an end to the sorry saga.

We did this by raising funds to repay all those who had not received their watches, this was largely made possible by a very generous donation by a leading member who chose to remain anonymous.

Not long after the final settlement Blade resurfaced and paid the fees to keep the old board running.

Now it is important to note here that we did everything in our power to track Blade down before the date that the board was to go belly up and we took the decision to start a new board because we had a member base of +15,000 that were about to be sent into the ether.

So anyway Blade came back and paid the fee's and the old board became the wild west with maybe the same 20 to 30 odd guys posting regularly.

Fast forward and those keeping the old board afloat decided that it wasn't worth the effort anymore and a small group decided on a second, much smaller, exodus.

Thus RWG 1:1 was born.

A few weeks back the domain name RWG became vacant, the boys at 1:1 swooped and now they they claim to be the original RWG, even though all their members (including their Admins) came along after the many thousands of members set up here.

Go figure....

Ken

Well I was member #7 on the original RWG, having migrated from TRC.

I actually joined before it was opened and whilst under testing, and I think the 6 earlier members were all Blades colleagues.

There were many hundreds of hours spent building that forum to the success it became, and then when Blade did his runner, it was all torn down in a matter of weeks. Pity the old database could not be resurrected.

The 20 or 30 posters left in the anarchy the old site became, were more interested in destruction, than rehabilitation, however it was this forum that raised the funds to repay all the members. So we hardly remember the end with joy.

Sometime later, after it crashed and burned, and we had offered the few remaining survivors shelter and a home here, the reincarnation then took place, and lately as all have said, the domain name was purchased at auction.

So what is now calling itself RWG is actually the Mary Celeste version.wink.gif

I also did not saddle up for a watch, as frankly it didn't appeal much. Although it would be good in hindsight to have got one, although that also was a bit of a lottery!

Knowing my luck, I would have received one with bad QC, and a DOA movement. And no one to call on for any recourse!!

Good luck to those who have them, the one clever thing which was done in hindsight, was not to include the word "replica" in the design. It may be a word which comes back to bite hard in the future.

Offshore

I was finally able get the screws out of the band and have it sized properly. She really is a beauty! Now I can finally wear it after all these years!

Gpuck

:group:

• 1 year later...

My RWG watch (ERIC version from BLADE on the extinct original RWG) :wub:

Is now sold on the other RWG and going to Hollywood, CA

gransimagerwgcieric.jpg

......but I still own another one, a smaller prototype I received from King back in 2005

granlimiteddedition.jpg

Since I now admin the old board I should have one! smile.gif

Yup, it came back allbeit without the old DB, Same old URL tho.

Col.

This is a really f'ing stupid comment and a total insult to the history of these forums,i have been "banned" for way less than this. What a tool you are buddy,really.

I wanted to put my RWG watch pics up but it seems Imagecave doesn't exist anymore,i do thank Ubi for what he did for POTR and myself getting that watch,not so much for the guy i ended up selling it to that said he didnt get it,got a refund from me and vanished. Curse of that watch i guess.

Edited by Dave123

Deoending on what was wrong on the prototype, it may be worth more than the final. ;) But I still and treasure mine.

Yes the prototype is unique in being the only one ever made (Made by KING). All that was wrong with this prototype was that the diametre is 40mm instead of the requested 42mm and that the Chinese replica factory "humorism" inserted on it in the form of Limitcd cdition due to use of Garamond font

The prototype

wristlimiteddedition.jpg