When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats wrong with some common sense and courtesy!

Migge

Just re-visiting this thread. I went to a take-out restaurant tonight to pick up food for myself and my girlfriend. Once my order was ready, I carefully loaded up my food and drinks by stuffing the drinks under my arms, and grabbed my food bag and my keys and proceeded to head out. While walking out the door, I noticed a couple of ladies coming into the restaurant. I opened the door, and held it open for them (in spite of the awkwardness of being burdened with the food & drinks). They walked past - not even giving me a casual glance or nod or thank you. As if that wasn't bad enough, there was a group of teenagers coming out who just pushed past the incoming ladies, past me and straight out, while I'm standing there like an idiot holding the door open for them all. I was in absolute shock at this point - and visibly shaking my head in disgust. I head out to my car and who should be parked next to my car - the obnoxious teenagers. They were parked so close I had to squeeze into my car. They noticed how difficult it was for me to get into my car, so the one girl hopped in the car, backed it out and proceeded to block my exit so that her friends could load into the car. What the heck is wrong with people these days? I'm only 36, and I already feel like my grandfather, shaking my head wondering what's with these damn young people???

:blowup:

Wait till you move to the Middle East - generally I try to be polite (if I've offended any forum members, my apologies), and have been raised to open doors for people regardless of gender. In the USA, the usual reaction was surprise followed by a genuine "thank you". Here, the snotty b**tar*ds just walk right by as if you were paid to do this. Occasionally I've taken to loudly saying "You're welcome", but I'm pretty sure they dont understand what that means anyway, esp since not one person has bothered to turn around and say "oh sorry, i meant to say thank you" or something to that end.

Wait till you move to the Middle East - generally I try to be polite (if I've offended any forum members, my apologies), and have been raised to open doors for people regardless of gender. In the USA, the usual reaction was surprise followed by a genuine "thank you". Here, the snotty b**tar*ds just walk right by as if you were paid to do this. Occasionally I've taken to loudly saying "You're welcome", but I'm pretty sure they dont understand what that means anyway, esp since not one person has bothered to turn around and say "oh sorry, i meant to say thank you" or something to that end.

I can really relate to you and red. I was walking out of Barns& Nobel about three months ago. Had a coffee In one hand and a mag In the other. This mother and daughter were walking out and I stoped and held the door for them,not easy when your hands are full.Not so much as a friendly smile,nothing. I said 'YOUR WELCOME" They had the balls to look back at me like I just offened them. I just shook my head and walked away. It looks like mom Is bringing up baby girl to be the same snobbish [censored] she Is, class :nea:

It's, unfortunately, becoming all too common Red.

It must be some kind of sociological shift and I'm sure research will eventually discuss how we lost our collective sense of personal responsibility this decade.

I was raised on the Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Not sure how the train jumped the tracks on that one

At then end of the day I can't help but place the blame on bad parenting

Interesting news clip TT, however, it only address incivility and inappropriate outbursts. I am all for expressing yourself, but the complete and utter lack of simple manners is unacceptable. Please & Thank You are words that will soon disappear from Webster's Dictionary at the rate people have stopped using them. :g:

It's a sorry state of affairs, that's for sure, and since this thread opened, I think I've seen more examples of this kind of inconsideration/ignorance/rudeness, and for the most part, it has always been from young people (especially some of my wife's loser co-workers). It's understandable, I guess, their parents were probably scum too, so they're just following suit, but it is disheartening to experience such behaviour. I mean, if someone does someone a favor, it's no hardship to say thankyou. :pardon: