When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Upgrade Asia to Swiss

APMAN

I've been thinking about the same issue. I did the math. It would ultimately cost about $250 more if you go with Swiss route than having your A7750 serviced. Besides, the hands would need to be modified a little bit to fit the Swiss 7750 movement. Here is the deal. If this is your only watch that has 7750 movement, then sure give it a try, swapping out A7750 for a Swiss 7750 (make sure you also have the dial and hands lumed while you are at it). Enjoy it for years to come (that is if you can handle the other imperfections the watch has). If you have several these chronograph watches, then it's better to have your A7750 serviced because you may not notice any differences when you wearing them. Unfortunately, if you are planning on selling the watch later, almost none of the service charge will be recovered.

Exactly what cougaree said. It really all depends on you. The asian 7750 are perfectly good movements when serviced and there's no reason it won't last you a lifetime. The ETA is pricey, but if it gives you piece of mind and satisfaction dropping an ETA in the watch then that's your perogative! Like cougaree said, it would require a bit of modification of the hands to fit the ETA handstack but not a huge issue. It's personal question that comes down to you. I thought about ETA for a long while for my Blacksteel and maybe one day i'll bite the bullet like Lanikai has a few times... I've had all my A7750's serviced here in spain (60euros/movement) and they run absolutely buttery smooth. good luck with the decision!:)

Swiss to Asian is one thing for a standard A7750.

Cost for a Swiss 7750 varies between $275 or so for the older 17j ones (which were definitely made in Switzerland) and upwards from $350 for the newer 25j ones.

A watchmaker will charge about $150 or so to do the swap which will involve broaching and gluing hands where necessary.

Servicing for $60 is CHEAP. If that's a complete strip down, cleaning, oiling and rebuilding...that's about 25% of the standard rate!!

The issue like indyberetta mentioned is that the APs have the seconds at 12 mod done to the A7750...and I don't think that adding the mod plate is a straight addition that can be done to a Swiss movement...so your only option is likely servicing. I'm not sure on this...but I haven't seen this being done before from what I remember.

• 1 month later...

Definitely can be done for sec-at-12, but not easy swap, and very questionable how much it makes sense. I remember that The Zigmeister used to do this for HBBs, but he stoped after while, because mod to swiss movement was quite hard - and remember that HBBs movement have just one post (chrono minutes) transferred from 12 to 3 (three quite simple gears added). You will end up with "Swiss" movement, but it will contain bunch of asian parts, including very problematic modification of transferring running sec to 12-o-clock position. If your watchmaker can take care of this part of movement (see Franciscos section about this), rest of Asian sec-at-12 movement is more than satisfying after thorough cleaning and service.

regards

Definitely can be done for sec-at-12, but not easy swap, and very questionable how much it makes sense. I remember that The Zigmeister used to do this for HBBs, but he stoped after while, because mod to swiss movement was quite hard - and remember that HBBs movement have just one post (chrono minutes) transferred from 12 to 3 (three quite simple gears added). You will end up with "Swiss" movement, but it will contain bunch of asian parts, including very problematic modification of transferring running sec to 12-o-clock position. If your watchmaker can take care of this part of movement (see Franciscos section about this), rest of Asian sec-at-12 movement is more than satisfying after thorough cleaning and service.

regards

Thanks - Watch is currently with Francisco for Mod ;-)