When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

112 Shipped w/ Cracked Caseback Crystal

polo147ax

[mods this might be in the wrong area, if so please recategorize, sorry]

My new PAM 112 arrived today with some damage. I am turning to the forum for advice on the sellers proposed resolutions for the watch's defect.

Upon receiving my new PAM, there is an issue with the crystal case back. The watch was well protected in double bubble wrap & secured in the package with no external damage noticable. That said, there is a hairline crack in the back crystal that runs almost 180 degrees around (half moon shape), appx 1mm parallel to the steel casing. Pics will be posted in the next day or two, I do not have access to a digital camera at the moment.

The seller has offered two solutions:

"1st: we will give you 5% discount for your next order

2nd: we ship you a new caseback, but you have to pay for the shippment cost. but the precise is when we see the pic and confirmed the crystal back has a crack."

My concerns:

I've already paid $XX's to ship the watch the first time. It's going to cost me to ship a replacement caseback?

Once the caseback arrives, i'll need to take it in for someone to service/replace it for me. I don't know how much it will be to have them do the work, but this is all starting to add up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Rob

Thanks for all of your time!

Had a very similar problem myself once. they told me to fix it locally and they would give me a discount on next order, or I send it back and cover postage both ways.

Hmmm let me see, I get a defective product out of the box and I have to wear the costs eh?

So I said Im making a new option, option 3, I send it back and you give me a full refund. That's what I advise.

5% discount is a laugh, for one that's quite a presumption you want to do business with them again, and two they are making another sale off you cause you have to spend to save...

This post is only to help me gather some insight on what is expected from a seller and buyer post transaction.

Sucks being a semi-noob, having an issue with your first purchase.

That was a very nice gesture from Dluddy, however I will have to graciously decline until the exchange/return has some resolution from the dealer.

Taking all of your advice into account I have proposed that the dealer:

-Send me a new caseback, dealer pays shipping, & credit the repair/replacement costs from watch smith.

-Send a prepaid shipping label for exchange and send a replacement watch express shipping at dealers cost.

-Send a prepaid return shipping label; refund the full amount of watch + shipping.

Edited by polo147ax

What are you nutz? Take Dluddy up on his offer, get yourself a caseback opener and put that new sucker on yourself, reveling in the kindness of the forumers and breaking your Rep and Watch-repairing cherry in one fell swoop. The sooner you figure out creative solutions to rep flaws, the happier you'll be collecting reps. I find I get much more satisfaction out these watch the more I'm able to tinker with them. That may not be you, I understand, but caseback romoval is hardly watchsmithing...it's called unscrewing!

:whistling:

What are you nutz? Take Dluddy up on his offer, get yourself a caseback opener and put that new sucker on yourself, reveling in the kindness of the forumers and breaking your Rep and Watch-repairing cherry in one fell swoop. The sooner you figure out creative solutions to rep flaws, the happier you'll be collecting reps. I find I get much more satisfaction out these watch the more I'm able to tinker with them. That may not be you, I understand, but caseback romoval is hardly watchsmithing...it's called unscrewing!

:whistling:

I will add this??? well there is nothing to add. The members here at RWG(present company not Included ;) ) no more about the rep world than anyone else on the planet, for this you can be 100% sure, good luck. :) Mike (ps) Dealer???

You kidding me!?? You're declining a free caseback from a trusted member? Dluddy could have the caseback to you in a jiffy.. If you're lucky.. you'll get this problem resolved in a month from the dealer... I would forget the dealer and take dluddy up on his offer... This is the reason the forum exists! I know you feel like the dealer "owes" you.. but it's only a caseback.. and the only thing the dealer would do is send you a new one after you paid to ship the old one back to him... Chances are he might even send you an incorrect caseback.. and you're back to square one... Problems with reps are better handled if they can be easily,cheaply and efficiently fixed without involving the dealer further more... Especially since we're talking about a caseback.. :whistling:

Hi all you knowledgeable posters! Well there was no resolution with the dealer, Silix, other than to send the watch back (they'd pay for return shipping) & get a refund. So, I have opted to take Dluddy up on his generous offer to ship over a case-back. You all are quite right, this might be a good opportunity to test out some of my newbie craftsmanship, and help my overall watch knowledge grow. Maybe this is also the start of stepping into the hobby rather than just being a curious bystander.

Regards,

Rob

"Baby steps, Bob, baby steps". -Dr. Leo Marvin

I'll post some pics over the next week or two after my gf returns from holiday with the digital cam.