When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Mechanical Digital Watch"

Limestone

A digital system[1] is a data technology that uses discrete (discontinuous) values. By contrast, non-digital (or analog) systems use a continuous range of values to represent information. Although digital representations are discrete, the information represented can be either discrete, such as numbers, letters or icons, or continuous, such as sounds, images, and other measurements of continuous systems.

The word digital comes from the same source as the word digit and digitus (the Latin word for finger), as fingers are used for discrete counting.

The word digital is most commonly used in computing and electronics, especially where real-world information is converted to binary numeric form as in digital audio and digital photography.

.......so I guess if there is no gradual movement of the numbered disks it is indeed digital-like:nea:

Here is a fun facto for ya, now that you mentioned the Zeitwerk ...

The movement on this is manually wound and the hours and minutes are supposed to be jumping hours and minutes. The same as the A. Lange & Sohne Lange Zeitwerk watch - which was really hard to make and took a really long time to properly engineer.

It seems a bit hard to believe that 4N would get it right so quickly when Lange clearly isn't giving away any secrets.

Here is a fun facto for ya, now that you mentioned the Zeitwerk ...

The movement on this is manually wound and the hours and minutes are supposed to be jumping hours and minutes. The same as the A. Lange & Sohne Lange Zeitwerk watch - which was really hard to make and took a really long time to properly engineer.

It seems a bit hard to believe that 4N would get it right so quickly when Lange clearly isn't giving away any secrets.

probably very different solutions to a similar problem...besides the lange has running seconds and must be considered as an analoge watch

I don’t see this as being very complicated to do. Outside of the base drive train, you would just need some thing similar to your date change feature on every other watch.... Just need it to cycle ever 60 seconds...off course I am sure I am under stating the amount of work got into this piece. :whistling: