When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wow -expensive TAG replicas - Good or Bad?

castlemountain

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about a Carrera 43mm Chrono SS/SS Blk A-7750 28800bph myself.

Although I'm really in the market for a genuine one, the Norwegian prices scared me... Better of taking a holiday to New York, and buy one there. I guess that would brake even.

My original budget was closer to 10.000NOK ($1800), so I guess I will have to wait...

Victorinox has some watches in the same styling, much cheaper (even within my budget), but I don't now. I would really like a genuine Omega, Tag or Panerai.

BTW: Lovely spring weather in Oslo today!

Hi and welcome. In general the few REAL 7750 movements will add about $500-600 to the price of a rep.

I admit spending almost $1000 for that kind of watch is scary. You ASSUME they are SWISS but the average NOOB buyer may have a hard

time sorting it all out. What I do is buy cheaper gens like Hamilton or Oris that have real ETA movements. You can get them online for big discounts. For ex. I got this Hammy for $700 with real Swiss 7750

DSC00234-1.jpg

Edited by Noel Fleischer

Hello,

I welcome that dealers are starting to deliver already modified watches as part of their offerings, however they still have to prove that their products are up to standards.

In my mind, if you really like a watch. It is better to buy an Asian chrono version, and then a buy a ETA 7750 from eBay and get Ziggi or somebody else to service it and install it into the watch. You will not save money, but you will get a watch which has the same movement as the gen, is serviced, and have peace of mind for several years. :)

The hunting for a proper movement and waiting for the service/ mods is part of the hobby. Sometimes you can get a good buy on a modified piece in the second-hand store here at RWG.

Or, a serviced A7750 will likely serve you quite as well as an ETA, and save you about 500 USD. :)

Just for another note.. check out all the nice genuine vintage Chronos you can get for the price of a replica. Poljot Sthurmanskie, Seiko 6138 and 6139.. Check out ebay. Nothing beats a cool genuine! ;)