When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stiff Bezel

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there was a way to make the bezel on the 1680 turn more smoothly. The one on my 1680 is really stiff and I would love for it to spin more freely. Where would I look to make it spin? Thanks!!!

Pop it off with a knife and clean it. I had the same problem with a 1665 the other day. As soon as I put it back on it was fine.

First, it should be hard to turn unless you press down and turn.

If it is stiff when you press down and turn, take the bezel off and look at the thin flat washer. If it is bent, make it as flat as possible.

If this doesn't help, inspect all pieces for burrs or epoxy.

Sometimes the inside of the insert itself is very tight on the crystal....in that case, sand the inner diameter of the insert or replace it.

Other than these, I can't help....

Thanks for the replies!!! I don't think that the insert is tight onthe crystal. The bezel feels a lot harder to turn than any other I have felt. I will check to make sure the fla washer is indeed flat. There is a little glue on the underside edge of the insert. Not much but it is there. The metal portion of the bezel is clean though. Could this make it harder to turn?

#1 Make sure the spring is not on upside down. The gen is slightly "dished" and it has to be on with the dish open downward to match the contour of the retaining ring's upper edge.

#2 Make sure the spring is completely down around the retaining ring, and not interfering in the gap between bezel and ring. On my 1665s it is easy to get it wrong so it's CRAZY hard to turn. When I get the spring down around the ring correctly, the bezel snaps on better and spins nicely.

#3 Not to contradict JAG, but I make sure my spring is bent at the 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions. Then I have to push down to turn the bezel. Note, this makes it much harder to get the spring in place correctly (see #2) as I snap the bezel on.

Just wanted to let you all know that the bezel is much smoother now. It was a little bit of extra glue on the underside of the insert. I took an x-acto knife and carefully removed the excess glue. I feel much better about it now. Thanks for all of the help and ideas!!!