When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Antarctic Watch?

Anguz

Hey gang,

When I move to the UK in May I will be staying with my brother for a week or so. He works for the UK government and just returned from a 2 month stay in Antarctica. I want to get him a watch a thank you present for letting me stay with him.

What watch do you think kind of represents the Antarctic, or do you know what some famous explorers wore there...as I don't know too much.

I know the Rolex Explorer is the obvious choice but...what do ya'll think?

Thanks lads.

Cheers,

Anguz

post-24823-126918650796_thumb.jpg

http://www.qpmagazine.com/News/default.aspx?ArticleID=83580&anchor=true#openHere

Amundsen Watch, the Limited Edition Arctic Navigation System by Villemont

Villemont has released their new remarkable watch dedicated to Roald Amundsen, the Norwegian explorer who left his mark on the Heroic Era as one of the most successful polar explorers ever born. In 1899 he was with Belgica Expedition to be one of the first persons to reach the Antarctic. He became the first to travel the Northwest Passage in his ship Gioa in 1903-06. On December 14, 1911, Amundsen and his team stood at the South Pole to become the first man ever reach the place. His achievement was an incredible masterpiece which deserved eternalizing on amazing Villemont Watch

Thanks lads. I suppose the Panerai is the only one out of those I a can actually get...other than the Explorer. I like that Arktos though. I don't recall seeing it around here much. The omega is just the moon watch with a giant red thing on it right?

Cheers.

Just do like we do in the arctic... Wear what you like but keep your jacket pulled down over it so you don't frostbite your wrist. Easy answer! I've worked in places where the wind chill was off the bottom of the charts, estimated at -175F and my trusty little Sub was perfect. Small enough to tuck under a coat, and even exposed to the air it was fine. The crystal got some crazing cracks in it but it kept time okay.

Heck, the only time you care about in those conditions is "how soon till we can go inside?" And the answer is always "not soon enough!"

:bangin:

fly_whaling.jpg

Just do like we do in the arctic... Wear what you like but keep your jacket pulled down over it so you don't frostbite your wrist. Easy answer! I've worked in places where the wind chill was off the bottom of the charts, estimated at -175F and my trusty little Sub was perfect. Small enough to tuck under a coat, and even exposed to the air it was fine. The crystal got some crazing cracks in it but it kept time okay.

Heck, the only time you care about in those conditions is "how soon till we can go inside?" And the answer is always "not soon enough!"

fly_whaling.jpg

:Jumpy::lol::p:o:huh::cry2: poor Nortbound Scott

fly_whaling.jpg

Hilarious cartoon brother!

As for the watch...I'm still not sure what I want to do. I appreciate everyone's advice though and have seen a couple of cool watches I've never seen before to add "to the file" upstairs.

However, I am looking rep, not gen. Something more symbolic, than functional.

Cheers lads!

post-24823-1269544176_thumb.jpg