When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap Explorer II style rep or homage?

sneed12

I'm getting married in September, and after a lot of thought I've decided to build watches for the groomsmen. So I need to source 5 or 6 (haven't decided if the best man is getting the same thing as everyone else) of the same watch.

I'm thinking a white-dial Rolex Explorer II *style* watch. I'm going to print custom dials with their names, etc, so I don't care about the quality of the rep or if its a homage watch or whatever. All I require is sapphire and a reliable movement.

Anyone have a suggestion where to get 5 or 6 of these things fairly cheap (and new)? I was thinking maybe Alpha, but I don't think Alpha uses sapphire... Is there something like the Noobmariner in the $100 range but in an Explorer? I really want black markers and hands, and GMT if I can get it. I think that style with custom dial printing would look really sharp.

EDIT: Also, the Alpha doesn't have black markers...

I purchased an Explorer II white dial a21j rep from watcheden for about $88 shipped with a discount (I think the code is at the top of the website? or check out their section on here). It had a mineral glass crystal though, but the hour markers and hands were black unlike some reps out there. I also think there is a nicer version of it on there with a swiss movement, etc. Anyways just trying to help :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The noobfactory makes an Explorer II with the silver hour markers (not black). So like Brendo22 says, you can try Watcheden.

I did run across linglingwatches on ebay last week- they have an unmarked Explorer II- once again silver hour markers, and probably a mineral crystal

http://cgi.ebay.com/40MM-White-Dial-Auatomci-GMT-Gold-Movement-Full-SS-Case_W0QQitemZ160416226740QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item25598d5db4

This watch will run around $60 w/ shipping, but you have to bid on it.

BTW, I have the Explorer II from Watcheden also. The markers are black, but the date mag is small on mine.

The problem is, there isn't a decent white dialed Explorer II out there

That one from Lingling is great - I've got one and the movement feels great - little bit rough when adjusting the GMT hand but date changes are fine, as it adjusting the time :)

Bracelet is good quality, watch feels like a quality piece overall!

I'm not sure if it's mineral glass, I can only assume so at the price, but it's not a green-tint, whatever :)

I'm starting to think maybe PAM style would be easier. Jackson has the sterile PAM 063's, and 44mm sapphires aren't impossible to get. I ran a quick dial mockup

dial2.png

I just thought the Explorer style might be a little more, I dunno, classic. Not everyone likes wearing a 44mm watch.