When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam Experts, What do you think?

Hi, I bought this in Chinatown KL, Malaysia just for the new style bracelet after seeing one months ago on a watch here in our sale section. I tried but couldn't source the bracelet from our dealers.

I picked this up for about 100USD (after MUCH haggling - had a price tag of over $900. LOL) and it seems on par buildwise with the $250-300 reps from our dealers. Has a quality/solid feel. Everything works well and keeps decent time.

The bracelet itself has a much better finish and feel than the older style pam bracelet available from our dealers. It needs some lube and polish but the finishing is even and smooth, the the deploy is smooth and clicks well, and it has VERY nice flush screws. The only crit is is the little gap between the SEL and first link. This gap isn't as bad IRL if worn tight.

The question is, is the watch head a pure fantasy or close/moddable to an actual model?

You can afford to be super critical as it was bought only for the bracelet. It's only a bonus if not pure fantasy.

Pics:

front.jpg

side.jpg

back-close.jpg

wrist.jpg

Edit to add pic of date:

date-front-close.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

Edited by mastrmindalliance

Well I'll be, they actually made a 161 dial for the 21J movements. I wonder if they'll make any for the A7750. Hope so, it will save me some time putting together my 161. Nice buy, by the way :) If you ever come across another new style bracelet and want to sell it .... :D

Ok cool, so it's a 161. Thanks guys! Does anyone know where to get a suitable caseback? Besides replacing the woeful CG is there any other simple mod I could do? Simple because I'm more of 'breaker' than a 'fixer' when it comes to watches.

It has the noisiest rotor ever, wonder if any of our forum watchsmiths will touch it, given the movement...?

Also, if you google up the new pam bracelet it appears the gen has a bit of a gap at that last link too (which seems odd), perhaps not quite as big though... I am happy with it all though. It even has decent lume.

:D

Well I've never seen a 161 rep offered by any of the well known dealers, so I doubt there is a correct caseback available. But since you don't seem too concerned about it not having a titanium case (like the 161 does), you could just watch the sales posts and wait for any SS solid case back to come up for sale and try it on ... f

You can also try putting a small (very small - like needle point size) amount of high-temp lithium grease into the bearing area of the rotor.

Also, is that crystal a sapphire one? And do you frequently visit the market where you bought that? :)

Hey Drulee, thanks for the info and tips, much appreciated!

Unfortunately I'm not a regular visitor to the market, was just a holiday. You may have some luck with the other guys posting in this thread

Might just keep it as is and try to lube the rotor, unless I do jag a new caseback and CG for cheaps. Though I will be chasing a rep model that should have, but lacks this style bracelet (it's really super good qual!), if there are any...

Edit: oh also it's sapphire with AR on front and mineral on rear.

Eyed up it looks like it does Wheaton. Will put the calipers on it for you when I get home. It was actually your avatar that made me want my first pam (bought a 113 w bracelet). Didn't like them before, but loved the profile pic in yr avatar. Seriously!

Any suggestions for an available rep that needs this style bracelet?

:)

well i'm glad i could persuade you into panerai. lol. and i look forward to hearing the measurments of the bracelet. what you have right now is actually a 297, not a 161. for the most accurate rep, i would go for the 220 which my brother has (both rep and gen) ... the rep is amazing! you could then put your new style bracelet on it to transform it into a 299. that would be the first of it's kind around here. best of luck with whatever you decide!

• 1 month later...