When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CG Lever barely touching the crown...

swdivad

OK... I have this beautiful watch, but I want to tighten the lever to the crown a little more so it snaps in well...

The options available I think are (in order of preference):

1. move the tube out from the case until the desired distance is achieved -_-

2. Get a thicker crown :huh:

3. File the underside of the CG to bring the lever closer to the crown face :nea:

4. Get a new CG :black_eye:

What do you guys suggest?

Yes all those will work. Filing the underside of the existing CG is probably the easiest but also the slowest and most laborious option. I find a whet stone works quite well as the steel is usually very soft. Its also hard to stuff up this option as you'll be working quite slowly and its very quick and easy to do a test fit.

I find the easiest way is to add an insert into the "dish" of the crown so that the lever connects.

This can be combined with an additional ruber gasket on the underside of the crown as well.

Looks far better than extending the tube or filing the CG feet which is very very difficult to get right without precision machinery/tools

I have used an old sandwich dial (about 0.2 - .3mm thick) and cut a small square.

Then polish this square up (unless you have a PVD crown) to achieve a satisfactory finish.

Then using a swiss file and/or dremmel with sanding wheel - shape the square into a circle hat will fit snugly into the recess of your crown- fix with some impact adhesive when you are happy with the shape and finish.

Maybe a half hour job and nothing permanent done as with filing CG's etc.

Cheers

FGD

I am with FGD. Set that crown exactly where you want it off the case and then add a shim onto the inner tab of the crown. If you polish it well it will not be very noticeable. Otherwist new thicker crown (or one with shallower recess). The other approach i have heard about but never tried was adding a touch of metal to the tip of the lever. Start with the fatter crown first.

What would you suggest for shaping the CG feet to fit onto a case, not necessarily adjust to make the lever touch the crown? I've been using a "fine" file to modify a SeadNembo CG so it will fit a DSN case, but it is taking forever ..

D, The last thing you want to do is change the CG as it is a Little Hero and one of the best out there for a PreV project.

If it is really bothering you maybe you can use just a lever from another CG that has a longer end on it.?

Having said that it has been modified by The Zigmeister and the pin is tighter than a nuns so it might be a pain in the posterior to do mate.

D, The last thing you want to do is change the CG as it is a Little Hero and one of the best out there for a PreV project.

If it is really bothering you maybe you can use just a lever from another CG that has a longer end on it.?

Having said that it has been modified by The Zigmeister and the pin is tighter than a nuns so it might be a pain in the posterior to do mate.

Yes, the pin to the lever is a really nice action, although sometimes the lever ends up open :black_eye:

I will shim the inside face of the crown as FGD suggests for now and search for a less deeper dished crown for the long run.

Other than that... I so much love this watch!! :wub: :wub:

I usually just add a small Rolex crown gasket to the crown where it contacts the tube to achieve the shim. Also provides an almost springloaded feel to the crown as well...

But if you don't have the stem at just the right length, you may end up putting the movement into time setting mode when you release the lever.

But if you don't have the stem at just the right length, you may end up putting the movement into time setting mode when you release the lever.

Never had that problem. Not in the dozen times that I've done it. Unless your lever and crown are egregiously far apart, the gasket has plenty of give to compress when closed while adding enough 'height' to bridge the gap of a lever that's barely touching. If you have to add so many gaskets that it's pushing the stem to the time setting position, then you have other problems; the gasket is more of a fine tuning solution.

Having said that it has been modified by Ziggy and the pin is tighter than a nuns so it might be a pain in the posterior to do mate.

B has an excellent point. Grab the lever from a longer and thicker historic cg and fit that in. It is also a good excuse to redo that pin and take your cg to a whole new lever.

Yes, i surely don't want to change the CG... it's beautiful...

i think the shim at the lever side or the gasket at the tube side will do the trick well for the immediate fix

The lever does touch the crown... I just need it a tad tighter... and i hate finding it open in the middle of nowhere :blink:

M has a new batch ready... maybe one of those would be a good choice.

Anyone have a spare lever for sale?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the 201A back from my watchmaker today :thumbsupsmileyanim:

He put another gasket in the crown face and now the lever snaps in perfectly and tight!!!! Also got it waterproof tested and it came through with flying colors!!!

Thanks for all your advice, it was most helpful!! :victory: