When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with a loose bezel?

Antstar24

So I got my SA black steel intoday and its awesome. The only thing thats bothering me is the bezel. IT rotates way too easy with the slightest touch. Is there anything any mod or something I could do to make it stiffer and to have more firm clicks. I can stand this, makes the watch feel soooo cheap. Please someone help me!!!

My understanding is that the loose bezel can be caused by three things:

1. Case. The groove where the bezel spring sits is too far from the ratchet. This may be an unlikely cause because all the cases are machine made, but possible.

2. Bezel. The make of the bezel allows it not perfectly keeping the right distance between the bezel's "click teeth" to the ratchet. This can be fixed by getting another rep bezel. I fixed one of my Breitling by doing this.

3. Ratchet. The Ratchet which makes the bezel clicks and unidirectional may need to be adjusted (need to be raised up a little bit).

Does the bezel click at all? If it does, you may be able to improve the clicking by adjusting the ratchet ring. The hardest part is getting the bezel off the case to access this ring. In some watches, it's impossible to do. Basically, once you get the bezel off, you will know what to do. Breitling bezel mechanism is quite simple.

Yeah I also got a SA blacksteel like that with a loose bezel.

my watch smith told me that sometimes the fix it by placing a rubber O ring underneath the bezel, causing friction and making it click more tight.

I will try that as well soon with my Avenger Blacksteel..

There is a fix for the loose bezel over at either Rep Geek or RWI. It involves dental floss! No joke. I have been planning to fix the loose bezel on my SA BlackSteel, but just haven't gotten around to it.

EDIT: I found the post on Rep Geek...

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=82480

Edited by chazglenn3

I had the same problem with my Skyland. Fixed it with dental floss just like chazglenn3 mentioned. Wraped it around two times and pushed the end down with a razor blade, worked fine for me :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just give it a try ,

greetings DrOlson

Edited by drolson

This is a closeup shot of my BCE. I assume you are trying fit the dental floss into the groove where the bezel spring sits. Well... good luck hitting the groove!

IMG_0209.jpg

This is what's beneath the bezel. Watch in the picture is a v2 BCE, but I believe the designs on other Breitling are same or similar.

IMG_0208.jpg

This is the bezel ratchet, which enables the click and also pushes bezel up. In the picture, the ratchet is upside down from what it is normally sitting on the watch with crystal side up. My logic tells me that if you can somehow bent the little tabs (enables the clicking) up a little bit, the bezel would be less loose. If the screws around the bezel pushing the bezel spring wire toward the groove can push a little bit further, the bezel can be tighter.

IMG_0220.jpg