When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which A21J movement is comparable ETA, etc....

Panther917

Guys

I have two watches that are currently giving me problems. I'd like to be able to try to fix them myself but have no idea which movement they are and the comparable ETA version

1) PO - A21J (no longer able to set time via the crown, appears stripped)

2) Omega GMT - A21J (starting to slip setting the time via the crown unless I apply slight pressure downward on the crown when setting time)

My question is this....Is there a cross reference or something out there that tells what movement should go into each particular watch? I get confused when looking at the Asian clones vs ETAs vs gen movement and trying to find out if these watches are worth repairing?

For example, what if I just wanted to buy another A21J movement to put in my PO 45mm? What should I get to be a direct fit into that rep case? What about the Omega GMT? Is that the same A21J movement? or is it a different one because it is a different case size?

Would it be a better option to buy an ETA movement to swap into these cases? If so, how do I know what movement is the correct size / type for these particular cases?

Could I put a quartz movement into these cases? Just to try something different or would that mess up anything or not fit?

I'd love to learn more about movements and which ones fit into which cases and whether it is better to repair a movement or replace a movement when these types of problems occur. I just figured that for the cost it would take to have a watchsmith repair it, I could replace it myself with some good tutorials on the forums.

I think I just need a good watchsmith.....:pardon: Any takers? :black_eye:

If this is in the wrong area, please let me know and I can repost in the right section...

Thanks...

DG2183 is the replacement for 21j asian next up the food chain is Miyota 8215 (very good but non hacking

As to the GMT version, dont know!

Non are direct swaps for ETA as the dial feet are different and so are the hand sizes

Unfortunately, nothing is quite so clear cut with this situation. Once you have an A21 movement in a watch (aka dg2813), you're kind of stuck. You can simply replace your movement (the non-gmt one) with a replacement dg2813 and hope that the canon pinion is the right height. If not, you can take your old canon pinion off your old movement and put it on the replacement if need be. The beauty of it is, no matter how bad you screw up, you can get a whole new movement for $25. I paid $20 locally here in NYC for one off the shelf at my local watch house. In some situations you can also upgrade in beat to the dg4813, but they stem holes alignment is an issue - sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. As far as the GMT is concerned, I have no idea what to do there.

What's the moral of the story? Pay the extra for ETA or at least the asian ETA clone. The indirect second hand drive on the 2813/8215 just plain sucks.

Quartz? did you say quartz? :aggressive: Well I just cant believe that you.... Ha Ha gotcha :acute: Hey how about them devils? :diablo:

Nice one max :clap: I love it......ha! I'm a Tarheel man myself and was hoping to see WVU win it all but Dook played well and deserved to win. I was Butler's biggest fan that night, but Dook deserved to win (wow, that was hard to say.....)

Thanks guys, this gives me a good place to start. I will look into the miyota 2813 and dg4813 as options.

@fixrandy - Thanks Andy....I will look into the miyota 8215. Ofrei had one for $31.00 which might be the route to go instead of the 2813

@fijikid - yeah, I have already purchased a swiss UPO as it's replacement, just trying to practice on the PO rather than scrapping it. I'd like to keep it as a beater and make this a learning experience.

The GMT has miraculously started working again? Strange.....I have to put just the slightest amount of pressure pushing down while the crown is in the time setting position for the gears to engage to set the time, but it works fine after that. Now, if I just wear it every day or keep it on a winder, I'll be in good shape :D

Nice one max :clap: I love it......ha! I'm a Tarheel man myself and was hoping to see WVU win it all but Dook played well and deserved to win. I was Butler's biggest fan that night, but Dook deserved to win (wow, that was hard to say.....)

Actually I just wanted to see a good game. I have a lot of family that I visit In WV and I live as you know In NC, So I was kinda on the fence. Very rare set of circumstances. :pardon: I give you credit to being so open minded about the game. Most people I know cant do that, Including me. :lol: Mike