When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement Crystals

TJGladeRaider

If I want to improve the quality, or just replace, the crystals on Chinese reps, that do not take factory sizes, is there a way to use calipers to measure and then buy what you need?

Also, is there a CHEAP source for GENERIC Tropic 29 and Tropic 127?

One thing I discovered today -- the vintage reps Andrew sells are tapped to fit factory tubes and crowns - but they are actually pretty well made, triple lock systems with all the right gaskets in all the right places just as they come. They do not look anything like some of the junk we have seen pictures of and I am not sure I would have gone to the trouble to switch them.

The tubes themselves are NOT the right size to use with gen crowns - although the thread size is perfect, the tubes outside diameter is smaller, so you cannot mix and match. You must replace as a set, but as I said, the gen sets screw right in.

The factory tube requires a countersink into the case to make it fit flush, but that is easily accomplished with a properly sized drill bit. The threads as they come are perfect, but once you drill the countersink, it's probably a good idea to run a tap thru it.

I was amazed at how easy it was to follow the advice posted by Randy, Ziggy, Chris and others in taking these watches apart.

The other thing that fits Andrew's vintage watches PERFECTLY is the OEM replacement bezels. That sems very odd to me as I was under the impression that you could only use a gen inmsert on the MBW.

Now for the crown guards . . . wish me luck.

Let's just call this little project, the "Poor Man's MBW." Having bought a bunch of MBWs from George, I am a very poor man!! LOL

Bill

Good stuff, Bill. Please post some pics along the way!

R

You Betcha. Pics will definitely follow. I just need to get some of this stuff sourced and sorted out -- like the generic plastic crystals. I have micrometers and calipers - surely someone sells generic crystals according to a size chart as opposed to for specific watches.

For the price of a couple of MBWs, I got a whole pile of vintage watches from Andrew - I figured it was about time I bought something from him anyway. By the time I work my way thru them, I'll be comfortable doing these mods. Maybe then I'll try tackling the MBWs.

It is interesting to me though, that Andrew's vintage watches (nice ETA models) are not bad right out of the box. In fact, the only thing I see different (correct me if I am wrong here) is the way the bezel system fits and functions.

If you take Andrews and grease the bezel groove/spring with silicone grease, packing it like you would a wheel bearing, it has a whole new feel to it.

Anyway -- SOMEONE must sell generic crystals according to size and profile. Anyone happen to know, I'd like to spare myself the detective work.

Bill

GS . . .

Gun Slinger

Group Sex

Grand Slam

Wanna give me a clue?

Bill

GS Crystals.

I'm having the same dilemna you are with the crystal on an Andrew vintage sub. I've tried every damn crystal in my tool box and none were a good fit. To make matters worse all of my watch stuff is put away in closets so it is impossible to get at without a lot of work. I've got a GS crystal book somewhere in my stuff that's packed away. If I can find it I'll be sure to post for everyones benefit.

I was hoping that a gen tropic 19 would fit this thing. I guess this wouldn't be any fun if it was simple!

What is Tropic 29 for? Tropic 19 is for the 5513 series, 5512, 5514,5517. Tropic 39 is for the 1665 sea-dweller.

Someone managed to put a 127C on a red sub of Andrews, amazed me.

Ofrei.com has lots of T-19's, T-39, and the generic 127C, and a good selection of the rest of the plastic crystals. Good prices, too. Great for experimenting.

Go to www.watchtrader.cc/ and check out the reference section for a bunch of other esoteric measurements on Rolex stuff.

What about Cousins over in the UK? Maybe they have plastic crystals- leave it to the ol' Brits.

I've seen the various size sapphire crystals around, just can't remember where.

So much of this stuff is by trial and error! I think you're in uncharted waters. These rep makers don't stick to the gen dimensions, they just tool up and make their own.