When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need your advice again

Hi, now i get the pam bug that a lot of peeps talk about. Beautiful and minimally stylish watches.I've decided to buy a 220 at Wheaton's advice to go with my new style bracelet (you can see it here).

From experience, I've learned to only trust Josh, though I realise this is just my experience - no offense to other dealers (except one particular dealer -_-). So I'm seeking advice on these two different versions of Pam 220:

Pam 220 best $458

or

Pam 220 $300

The reason I'm having trouble deciding is that the specs seem 99% identical with the only difference being the 'updated crystal' and "very good lume". I already have the "very good lume" on the FM king and while it is better than regular rep lume, it could still use a relume so that part is irrelevant to me...

My question is: is the updated crystal really worth $160? I know in these types of threads often the response is simply "is it worth it you?". So, What I'm really asking is what the real difference is between the crystals and how much difference would it make to the eye?

Also, I've never owned gen or rep GMT except for the one in the thread mentioned above and it uses a a21j movement. So if anyone has a suggestion for a Pam GMT with good movement that should have the new bracelet, I'm all ears!

One more thing, at some stage, if the bug bites me hard, I know I'm going to have to nab a DSN. I've checked his section but can't find a 220. So a DSN suggestion for another model that needs the new style bracelet would be good too.

Naturally I searched before posting this, but couldn't turn anything up about the cartels upgraded 220.

Thanks for reading and I'll appreciate any advice given!

From the links I can see a lot of differences from the pics mate. They are probably made by 2 different factories. But remember thats only going by the pics on the site the watches can vary depending on the latest versions or variations of it.

The dial is different notice the 6 also the hands (the 6 is more accurate on the cheaper one!! though neither are good look at LSML!! etc)

The CG is different as is the CG lever

The Xtal has the better cyclops on the best version one.

Date wheel font

Different cases

Different caseback

Also the movements

Not sure about upgraded bracelet thats not in the pics in your link just the old version with the CG shape links so you would need to check he can get it, I had one on a 250/236 which seemed to create a stir as no one could get that bracelet from the TDs except I think PWC.

Personally I would see if you could source the better version from another TD or even try Vac or Sead or look for a better rep model with bracelet.

Good luck mate

go with your first link (the ultimate version), and please don't even consider the second one. the date and mag are what seperates the good from the bad in pam automatic reps, and this one is amazing ... trust me. my brother has the ultimate 220 and i have the ultimate 164. you will be very happy with this. and with your new style bracelet, you will have a one of a kind 299 like the one below!

1263411791041_Pam_299.jpg

go with your first link (the ultimate version), and please don't even consider the second one. the date and mag are what seperates the good from the bad in pam automatic reps, and this one is amazing ... trust me. my brother has the ultimate 220 and i have the ultimate 164. you will be very happy with this. and with your new style bracelet, you will have a one of a kind 299 like the one below!

1263411791041_Pam_299.jpg

Agreed. It is all in the date and cyclops.

Thanls guys! Very much appreciated. I will go with the Ultimate. Hopefully, soon I'll know my Pams and won't have to keep asking for help with my nubbery.

:p

Just one more thing - PeteM - I already have the bracelet. I bought it on the street in KL, Malaysia after asking every single dealer we have to no avail.

Hope our dealers get their hands on it soon/ rep it themselves because someone out there is already repping it, and its very VERY good.

In fact, it's probably the best rep bracelet I own! Well finished in all aspects and superb flush screws.

Wheaton - thanks again, I know you'd already mentioned it but didn't want to dig up anf old post just to ask.