When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown doesn't screw down, strap's a little loose!

JoQ

Hi there!

Now it's been about 3-4 months since I got my Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Black, picture: http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4067/p1010275q.jpg

I bought it from Joshua, Perfect Clones.

I'm pretty happy with it but I have some questions.

First off, quite annoying, if I am right the crown is a screw down, like you can tighten it to make it water-proof, this works, but it's very hard to get the threads to take. Most often it's just spinning around, but if i try long enough I can get it stuck. Is it possible to change the crown on your own to fix this? Or where's the problem? On the site it says it's a screw down crown: http://www.1-pc8838.com/tg10054-carrera-automatic-chronograph-black-a7750-28800bph-p-2521.html

Problem number two is the strap, the hole for the clasp is a little wide, so only one of the "hooks" holds the clasp together, it works but I think it might get loose on the other side too. Anything I can do about it?

The third thing I noticed is that the 12 o'clock chrono sometimes jumps off its position, it moves a millimeter to the right, and I have to start the chrono and then reset it to get it in the right position, this happens almost every day :/ Nothing I can do i guess?

And the last thing, the winding isn't very good, the powerreserve is not as good as I thought. If I leave it overnight it has most often stopped at about 6.00-7.00

What do you think I can fix by myself? I really don't want to send it back, the risk with customs in Sweden is quite big :(

Hi there i myself have a carrera like yours, but the black and red version, i really like the watch but a few issues

1.- stop working 3 days after i receive it, as i read before, A7750 almost all the times needs service just after you receive it from the dealer

2.- Movt tricky, not usually known by the common watchsmith

3.- mine has to spend like 2 weeks in the watchsmith before he could understand, clean, lubricate, calibrate etc, the watch (it depends on the knowledge of the WS)

4.- Once you do that works great

ps don't think its a screw down crown

The crown on the gen is not screwed, so the rep shouldn't be either. Plus, with chrono pushers on this rep, the risk of water ingress is higher, so I doubt that a screwed crown would make much difference to its water resistance. At best you could escape with a splash under the tap, but under no circumstances should you swim with it.

You can't believe everything that is written in the sales blurb

By the sound of what you're saying about the Chrono hand, its needs lifting and re-positioning at 12.

The clasp "hooks" indents (on the piece facing the clasp) have probably been ground too wide. Not much you can do here, unless you reground the "hooks" to make them reach longer.

I'm not sure if you can send back a watch after 3-4months of use, though!

The rep uses the a7750, right? Any watchsmith should've come across a Valjoux 7750 in the course of his/her career. If not, then they shouldn't be messing with yours. Period.

Hi there i myself have a carrera like yours, but the black and red version, i really like the watch but a few issues

1.- stop working 3 days after i receive it, as i read before, A7750 almost all the times needs service just after you receive it from the dealer

2.- Movt tricky, not usually known by the common watchsmith

3.- mine has to spend like 2 weeks in the watchsmith before he could understand, clean, lubricate, calibrate etc, the watch (it depends on the knowledge of the WS)

4.- Once you do that works great

ps don't think its a screw down crown

I have nine reps with the A7750 and only two of them have been serviced so far. Those two were running well when I had them serviced. The seven a7750 I have left are all keeping good time and running well for the most part. The A7750 has been a great movement for me, dependable and accurate. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have nine reps with the A7750 and only two of them have been serviced so far. Those two were running well when I had them serviced. The seven a7750 I have left are all keeping good time and running well for the most part. The A7750 has been a great movement for me, dependable and accurate. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wish I had the same luck as you maxman :(

My first 7750 was a Tag aquaracer (after reading by tor's reviw of course) which was purchased at the same time as my Tag Heuer Grand Carrera.

Within 2 months, my Tag aquaracer stopped winding unexpectedly. I opened it up and it looked as though it had difficulty winding, even if I spun the rotor with my finger. Definitely a problem with this movement... Because of the customs issues of sending it back, this watch became an expensive paperweight.

About the same time, my Tag Grand Carrera also stopped working/winding. The rotor fell off!!! I can't really blame it on the movement, but i stuck the rotor back on. Because I paid nearly $400USD for this watch, it remains in my drawer, and only used for special occasions.

I pretty much gave up on the damn 7750 for the last 12 months and only purchased ETA 2xxx movements with ALL BEING FAULTLESS (I mean really, get a 7750 serviced as soon as you purchase it??- If i pay upwards of $300USD for a watch, I expect them to work as soon as it arrives.......)

HOWEVER, because some of the watches that I am a fan of only come in Asian 7750, i just took the plunge and bought a Tag Link from Mary becasue i've always fancied this watch.

If this watch fails, I will never be purchasing a 7750 ever again! :whistling: :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Problem number two is the strap, the hole for the clasp is a little wide, so only one of the "hooks" holds the clasp together, it works but I think it might get loose on the other side too. Anything I can do about it?

What do you think I can fix by myself? I really don't want to send it back, the risk with customs in Sweden is quite big :(

Hi mate,

I received the same watch a few days ago and love it, other than the clasp which had the same problem as yours. After a bit of thinking I've managed to fix it and its now perfect.

If you have a look on the inside of the clasp you will see the 2 lugs coming through a plate held on with 2 small screws, this plate is what is causing the problem. You need to open up the slots in this plate slightly (towards the outside edge) in order to allow the lugs to move out further and engage.

To do this you need to split the bracelet, (I use an upside down drill in a pillar drill to press a pin through) & unscrew the plate and lift it out. You will then need a needle file that fits in the slot, I ground one to fit the exact size as its easier to keep flat, you don't need to take much out, just keep filling and trying it every now and then until it works as it should. Simple! Reassemble and Roberts your fathers brother, no more worrying about the thing falling of in the middle of the pub!

One last thing to be aware of is if the 2 small screws in the plate don't screw ALL the way in the heads can foul the clasp and also cause it not to perform, make sure they are flush to the plate, run a needle file over the heads if you have to.

Cheers,

Justin.