When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Total noob...

Mets1026

hi all - def a noob here; however, i'm def interested in getting into this amazing hobby. VERY interested in the breitlings, as well as omegas. however, not sure what i should be looking for in movement for my first rep. are the 21j's that bad? should my first be asian eta?

also, should the sosf be my first, as it's one of the best reps out there? so confused! haha...

hi all - def a noob here; however, i'm def interested in getting into this amazing hobby. VERY interested in the breitlings, as well as omegas. however, not sure what i should be looking for in movement for my first rep. are the 21j's that bad? should my first be asian eta?

also, should the sosf be my first, as it's one of the best reps out there? so confused! haha...

The 21js are just as reliable as the Swiss movements, and in many, if not most instances, the watch chassis is the same regardless of the movement inside, so there's really no point springing the extra cash... It's as cheap to replace those movements rather than servicing them, so that's another point in their favor :good: Yes, the SOSF is considered one of the best reps on the market, but as for should it be your first, that's up to you :lol: Buy the watch which you like and feel comfortable with. People in the real world don't tend to comment on other people's watches, so there's no point in buying a watch to impress others, or to avoid being asked if it's real or not. People still get asked if genuine Rolexes are real, so it really doesn't make any difference (if anyone even notices or asks at all) You've certainly come to the right place to get the best information on watches, as there's a lot of interest in all the different brands :good:

Welcome aboard matey!

First of all... STUDY STUDY STUDY AND MORE STUDY! you've come to the right place for massive amounts of information and reviews.. No one here can help you decide what your first watch should be though! The SOSF is a great watch and I have an swiss version. I used to have the 21j version which was amazing, but lacked AR. I sold it off and upgraded to the ETA swiss. Like Tee-Jay said.. the 21j is not a bad movement. YES it is cheap.. but if it breaks.. you can get a facrtory new, sealed and oiled one for under 30bucks and drop it into the watch if need be. Ultimately the decision is yours! good luck and if you have any question don't hesitate to ask!

Asia 21j come in a couple different styles. There's a 21k beats/hr model and a 28k beats/hr model .. just to keep things clear, for a newcomers. The more beats, the more smooth the Second Hand will sweep. (in theory ;) )

Asia 21j is a solid workhorse, but it is immediately obvious to anyone who winds the watch that it really is. An ETA or an Asian ETA clone winds smoother than a peeled onion. Asia 21j winds as rough as a tin toy.

If you get a SuperOcean Steel Fish, then go for the Asian ETA Clone mvnt .. you won't regret it. it's a beautiful watch and very well made.

The more research you do the better off you will be. RWG has some of the best Infomation that you could possibly Imagine. Members have given so much of there time so others could benefit. So take your time and have a good look around. I hope you stick around and share with the community, welcome :) Mike