When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Genuine 16610 Bezel Insert - Or Not?!

HauteHippie

A supposed gen 16610 black/silver insert pictured here. The look of the pearl in the picture doesn't do it justice. But still, now that I look at this thing blown up, it screams fake to me. I can't believe the gen underside would look like such a mess. I think this one is going back. Please chime in.

Here you go:

117626-22369.jpg

117626-22370.jpg

Edited by chieftang

Those are dang nice pictures, by the way..

Boy I thought the pics turned out crappy. Quick handheld snapshots using available light. :lol:

BTW this black/silver insert was $75 with a money back guarantee. The price was reasonable, assuming it to be genuine, and the guy was easy to deal with. I even spoke over the phone with him. Apparently he sources these from a guy who he has worked with for 2 years and claims to have never had any counterfeit issues. But I also get the impression that he wouldn't know a fake if it bludgeoned him over the head. Given the guy's candor and willingness to provide me his contact info, I agreed to accept this one sight unseen since he wasn't able to provide a pic in advance. And if all else fails, I have the ole CC chargeback option anyhow.

Edited by chieftang

The pearl looks OK to me (I'm comparing it to a gen at this moment). What doesn't look right is the point of the triangle below the pearl. The gen should have a distinct and well-formed point below the pearl, which looks like a mess in these pictures. I suppose there could be individual variation, but with the QC of Rolex, I doubt it.

The pearl looks OK to me (I'm comparing it to a gen at this moment). What doesn't look right is the point of the triangle below the pearl. The gen should have a distinct and well-formed point below the pearl, which looks like a mess in these pictures. I suppose there could be individual variation, but with the QC of Rolex, I doubt it.

Is the underside of your gen like this one? Besides the messy setting for the pearl, this just seems thin given that everyone says to fit it in a rep material from the underside must be removed.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure... Pearl looks a bit too white, though it could be the pics. The pearl should have a glossy irridescence to it, and the pearl's setting should be very thin, and low in profile.

117662-22346.jpg

117662-22347.jpg

117662-22348.jpg

As for the finish of the insert... Under direct light, it should appear to be very dark, somewhat glossy black, and in certain lighting conditions where the lighting is not as optimal, it should have almost a matte gray appearance. Hard to explain, so maybe this pic might do a better job of providing an example...

117662-22349.jpg

117662-22350.jpg

As for the rest of it... The back looks okay, but I have to ask- Are these inserts sold as new, or used? These are either used pieces, taken off and being resold, or they are factory seconds. If you look at the 7:00 marker... It might just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but that marker appears to be thicker than the others...

Any chance that you can get some additional pics?

Hmmm... I'm not so sure... Pearl looks a bit too white, though it could be the pics. The pearl should have a glossy irridescence to it, and the pearl's setting should be very thin, and low in profile.

I'm holding it in my hand right now....

Yes, the pearl does have that glossy irridescence to it. The pics are terrible in this regard. And I'd agree that the setting is low in profile and thin. But do you notice what appears to be an indentation in the pearl? This isn't visible to the naked eye, but is noticeable in the top picture.

As for the finish of the insert... Under direct light, it should appear to be very dark, somewhat glossy black, and in certain lighting conditions where the lighting is not as optimal, it should have almost a matte gray appearance. Hard to explain, so maybe this pic might do a better job of providing an example...

Yes I think I see what you mean. That seems to be what I see too.

As for the rest of it... The back looks okay, but I have to ask- Are these inserts sold as new, or used? These are either used pieces, taken off and being resold, or they are factory seconds. If you look at the 7:00 marker... It might just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but that marker appears to be thicker than the others...

Any chance that you can get some additional pics?

I can take additional pics tonight. So the backside looks right? Interesting and good to know. I have to assume these inserts are NOS judging by the dings on the backside. But I'm staring at the 7:00 marker right now, and it does not appear any different to the naked eye than the others. I think it is out of focus in the picture. I was hand holding with a wide aperture and focusing on the pearl. You'll also notice the 30 and 40 look off as they too are out of focus. I need to get the tripod out so I can decrease the aperture.

Edited by chieftang

Haven't looked at the underside of mine (haven't taken the watch apart). The other thing I noticed is that on mygen, the 5, 15, 25, etc. markers as well as the triangle with the pearl all extend from edge to edge of the insert. But I notice Ubi's don't do that, so again, maybe some variation....

275$ for an INSERT? OMG lol

When you're able to source an OEM LV insert - check that - IF you're able to source an OEM LV insert, please let us know what price you find. My experience has been 2.5X the price of an OEM black/silver insert. If the ADs would supply them, however, it seems pricing would be more along the lines of 50% more. So I don't know what's going on in the gray market other than supply shortage.

Based on all that you've mentioned... I think you're alright with that one...

I'll try to supply a few new pics tonight anyhow. I think based on what *you've* said that it's the real deal now. One thing I do notice is that the pearl irredescence is more noticeable in artificial lighting (i.e. indoors) than in natural sunlight.

Edited by chieftang

When you're able to source an OEM LV insert - check that - IF you're able to source an OEM LV insert, please let us know what price you find. My experience has been 2.5X the price of an OEM black/silver insert. If the ADs would supply them, however, it seems pricing would be more along the lines of 50% more. So I don't know what's going on in the gray market other than supply shortage.

Purely supply and demand! No question 'bout that. These LV inserts are highly sought after... And it's not just us mod hungry rep modders that are after them ;)

Looks good to me! Though, I believe yours is an older example- Note the slight serif on the fonts... I've typically seen those style of insert on the older models (pre-2003)...

Yea I had noticed that in studying the pics. Totally unnoticeable to the naked eye. And quite difficult to notice under magnification even. I'm keeping it.

A supposed gen 16610 black/silver insert pictured here. The look of the pearl in the picture doesn't do it justice. But still, now that I look at this thing blown up, it screams fake to me. I can't believe the gen underside would look like such a mess. I think this one is going back. Please chime in.

Yep, you're right! Obviously a miserable excuse for a cheap fake - sorry you got ripped off.

In an absolute fit of altruism, I'm gonna help you out and take that piece of junk off your hands for $20 so you don't have to throw it away.

Where shall I send the PayPal?

:whistling:

Bill

Yep, you're right! Obviously a miserable excuse for a cheap fake - sorry you got ripped off.

In an absolute fit of altruism, I'm gonna help you out and take that piece of junk off your hands for $20 so you don't have to throw it away.

Where shall I send the PayPal?

:whistling:

Bill

Hehehe. Apparently it is real, and yet I'm far from impressed by the fit and finish. The irridescense of the pearl is cool though.

Edited by chieftang