When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question to Our Movement Experts

jmb

I have some ETA 2671 movements that are missing hour wheels. I looked at cousins and discovered there are about 4-5 different height hour wheels! How do I determine which one I need?

I'm assuming I need to measure the canon pinion height and maybe subtract the thickness of the gear on the bottom of the hour wheel or... :blink:

R - Yeah. The seller has already made an "adjustment" for the cost of hour wheels but every one is missing. I have gotten movements from ofrei that ship with the hour wheel and washer not installed. The seller seemed surprised and distressed that they were ALL missing and I am getting the impression that when he checked all of the ones he had on hand were in like condition.

If you go on the ETA website, you can download the tech data sheets for the movement. On the last few pages, is a listing of the various height combinations of hour and seconds posts and cannon pins. You have to remove your cannon pin, measure it, and find the cooresponding hour wheel that matches it.

Lost hour wheels on loose movements is a common problem, nothing to hold them in place.

Thanks, Zig! When measuring the cannon pin is it's height measured from the top of the small gear, top of large gear, or the entire assembly?

Looking at the tech sheet I think I've got it figured out...

I was able (under microscope) to measure dimension "E" (page 13) as 1.60 mm so reading across to the left I guess I need hour wheel with height of 1.56 mm! Of course, Jules Borel lists most of the hour wheels at $4.60 for three or more but THIS one is $6.40! At Cousins it's less than half that which will more than make up for the postage. Is it safe to assume that the "spring washer" comes with the wheel?

I was able (under microscope) to measure dimension "E" (page 13) as 1.60 mm so reading across to the left I guess I need hour wheel with height of 1.56 mm! Of course, Jules Borel lists most of the hour wheels at $4.60 for three or more but THIS one is $6.40! At Cousins it's less than half that which will more than make up for the postage. Is it safe to assume that the "spring washer" comes with the wheel?

Good stuff.

Dial washers are normally not included, you can pick up a gross of them for a few dollars, worth having in your spares bins...

The washer is not listed in the data sheet I downloaded from Cousins, it is depicted in the drawings but not called out with a part number. I have e-mailed Cousins to clarify...

The washer is not listed in the data sheet I downloaded from Cousins, it is depicted in the drawings but not called out with a part number. I have e-mailed Cousins to clarify...

They do packs of assorted washers, I have one myself - http://www.cousinsuk...og/4/5/641.aspx

Good luck with the email by the way, I find them slow to respond, if at all, to email. On the phone they're great.

Crap! They've already replied and told me to submit a "non-listed item request" request. :brow:

Bright - Thanks for the link, that's what I really need - I ordered the "500 Assortment".

kbh - I've ordered from them before but in this case the price difference between JB and them will make up for the stiff shipping charge... The shipping will be about $16 so I will still realize a significant savings and it will be like getting the washer assortment for free! I agree, Cousins is not the way to go for a small low-dollar order from CONUS.

Thanks for everybody's help!