When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 87 - Wow! Anyone Have This?

dabom

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e186/300...LERY/pam%20087/

does anyone have this watch? Looks incredible!

Questions:

1) is the crown spring-loaded? (crosses fingers)

2) what's the dial look like? I am assuming the original was anthracite. I can't see from the pictures how close the rep gets to the original.

3) how's the lume?

thanks for the answers. I've been snubbing my nose at reps for some months now because there hasn't been anything exciting until now. Let's hope this is better than I expected.

Have this piece for 5 days now and it is amazing, never thought I would ever buy/wear a PANNY with blue dial :D

ANSWERS:

1) to be honest I have no idea, it sits flush to the case and it is thick like it should

2) the dial is blue and should be blue, if the color meets the real specs??? I have not had a real deal in my hands but will prove it this month

3) the lume is a little bit better compared to the PAM187 e.g. but still the crappy 30-minutes-fading type

All in all this is an absolute MUST HAVE, with 44mm it looks bigger than other PANNYs cause the bezel is thicker and the watch is higher.

So go ahead, you´ll love it.

BTW I attached the "old" Kevlar velcro diver strap and this makes it even more tool-like.

Best,

Theo

Pam1A - the way you tell whether the crown is spring-loaded is to unlock the crown-guard. If you unlock the crown guard, and the crown extends by itself - then it is spring loaded. When you the lock the crown-guard, the crown should press back into the case, and the spring should provide enough tension to the crown-guard so that the crown-guard doesn't come out by itself. Basically it looks cool when the crown-guard is released, and the crown springs out a little.

So: is the crown spring-loaded, or is my explanation confusing?

thanks.

Have this piece for 5 days now and it is amazing, never thought I would ever buy/wear a PANNY with blue dial :D

ANSWERS:

1) to be honest I have no idea, it sits flush to the case and it is thick like it should

2) the dial is blue and should be blue, if the color meets the real specs??? I have not had a real deal in my hands but will prove it this month

3) the lume is a little bit better compared to the PAM187 e.g. but still the crappy 30-minutes-fading type

All in all this is an absolute MUST HAVE, with 44mm it looks bigger than other PANNYs cause the bezel is thicker and the watch is higher.

So go ahead, you´ll love it.

BTW I attached the "old" Kevlar velcro diver strap and this makes it even more tool-like.

Best,

Theo

I bought one and have to say that It is a SUPERB watch!

Ok, some observations.

The crystal is actually 2 pieces, one 3mm piece and one 2mm piece that are glued together.

There is NO AR coating (even though it is listed with)

The crystal is GLUED into the case as well as held in lightly by gasket. THIS IS THE ONLY WEAK POINT in my opinion.

The dial (aside from the marker paint) is REALLY nice.

The case is very nice and very well made.

I have mine on one of the 187 style rubber straps from Joshua and have to say this looks better than any other strap on it I have tried.

Edited by speedy1

Hi Speedy1, does this watch have a spring-loaded crown? Thanks.

I bought one from Joshua and have to say that It is a SUPERB watch!

Ok, some observations.

The crystal is actually 2 pieces, one 3mm piece and one 2mm piece that are glued together.

The crystal is GLUED into the case as well as held in lightly by gasket. THIS IS THE ONLY WEAK POINT in my opinion.

I have mine on one of the 187 style rubber straps from Joshua and have to say this looks better than any other strap on it I have tried.

I bought one from Joshua and have to say that It is a SUPERB watch!

Ok, some observations.

Mmmmm - strange observations here Speedy!!. The crystal is one piece and is about 3mm thick at the edge and almost 5mm in the centre and has a waterproof sealant applied around the inside of the crystal/case joint, far from a weak point - this is not to glue the crystal in place, as it is held in by a nylon compression ring, so one can only imagine that this is the makers attepmt to make the watch more water resistant. Not sure why you think it is 2 pieces glued together!! The cyclops is moulded into the crystal so cannot be upgraded. There is an AR coat but it is very thin so not really obvious. The crown stem is sprung but the crown is almost too thick and could do with being a little narrower. The dial is a little more of a purple blue than the gen.

The markers at 8 and 10 are rotated. Not sure why the makers did this as the only reason would have been if the 8/10 markers were the full length in which case they would overlap the subdial. The only way to correct this is to remove the markers and file down one of the two pins that locate into holes in the dial. It is the dial holes that are offset but cannot be altered so one of the pins on the rear of the marker needs to be removed and the marker re-stuck to the dial

The lume is the same old crap that we are used to so an upgrade here is worth it as it should have a Tritium lume and the rep lume is a C3 green colour and the datewheel has the usual rep PAM skinny font. Caseback is engraved with a C series serial number which is also wrong as this dial/case combination would be D + series - what a shame!!. Bezel markers need polishing but apart form that it's one of my faves - wearing it now!!!

A thread about this has already been started here: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=11059

Altogether a must have for the PAM collector!!

Finepics,

You act like I pulled these observations out of my ass. I don't post that often so I try and make good ones when I do.

So here are your pics

pics one shows the two pieces

pic two shows where you can actually see the delamination of my crystals.

I removed the crystal so that I could email the dealer with pics of the delamination.

And no there isn't and AR Coating. The observations made were of my own watch so others may vary.

118590-22093.jpg

118590-22094.jpg

If they are all two crystals than I would want mine to delaminate. :lol: Serioulsy, if they do separate then I could attach one of the watchmen cyclops onto the top crystal, chuck the lower crystal with imbedded cyclops and get proper magnification. Is there a methodology to separate the two crystals and would the dial remain firmly in place? :)